Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary
Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary (GGBTS) is a graduate school affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. The theological seminary system has five campuses: Mill Valley CA, Brea CA, Scottsdale AZ, Vancouver WA, and Centennial CO. During the 2010–11 academic year, there were more than 2,000 enrolled, making it one of the largest seminaries in the United States. The seminary is accredited by the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
GGBTS was originally founded in 1944 in Oakland, California, at the Golden Gate Baptist Church. The seminary was moved to Berkeley shortly thereafter. It later moved again and in 1959 it held its first classes at its main campus in Mill Valley designed by architect John Carl Warnecke.
Since its establishment GGBTS has expanded to include several satellite campuses in addition to the Mill Valley site. These campuses are located in Brea, California; Vancouver, Washington; Scottsdale, Arizona; and Centennial, Colorado.
As of June 30, 2011, GGBTS has an endowment valued at $14.6 million.
On April 1, 2014, President Jeff Iorg announced the sale of the school's Marin County campus. The sale, to North Coast Land Holdings, was unanimously approved by the seminary’s board of trustees. A two-year transition will see the seminary relocate its primary campus to Southern California, where it already maintains a satellite campus, and the creation of a new, satellite Bay Area campus.
As a theological seminary, GGBTS offers a variety of theological degrees. Among these are the Master of Divinity (M.Div.), the Master of Theological Studies (MTS), the Master of Theology (Th.M.), the Master of Arts in Educational Leadership (MAEL), the Master of Missiology (MMiss) and two Doctorate degrees, the Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) and the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.).
Golden Gate focuses on multicultural and cross-cultural ministry; a large number of Golden Gate students become missionaries working with the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention.
The Golden Gate Academy is an on-site preschool that serves as a lab school for the seminary.
- Henry Blackaby – Minister and author of the popular Bible study "Experiencing God".
- Scot Burbank – Minister and Life Calling Instructor
- Debby Kerner Rettino – Christian worship leader
- "Fact Sheet".
- "Statement of Accreditation Status".
- "U.S. and Canadian Institutions Listed by Fiscal Year 2011 Endowment Market Value and Percentage Change in Endowment Market Value from FY 2010 to FY 2011" (PDF). National Association of College and University Business Officers. January 17, 2012. p. 21. Retrieved March 22, 2012.
- Ben M. Skaug (April 1, 2014). "Golden Gate Sells Mill Valley Campus and Initiates Relocation". Press release. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- Jeff Jones (April 27, 2004). "Jeff Iorg elected as president of Golden Gate Seminary". Baptist Press. Retrieved October 31, 2013.