Vick coaches the Birmingham Opera Company chorus during a rehearsal
30 December 1953|
|Alma mater||Royal Northern College of Music|
Graham Vick CBE (born 30 December 1953 in Birkenhead) is an English opera director known for his experimental and revisionist stagings of traditional and modern operas. He has worked in many of the world's leading opera houses and is currently artistic director of Birmingham Opera Company.
Life and career
Vick studied at the Royal Northern College of Music in Manchester. At age 24, he directed a production of Gustav Holst's Savitri for Scottish Opera, and became the company's director of productions in 1984. From 1994 to 2000, Vick was director of productions at Glyndebourne Opera.
In 1987, he founded the Birmingham Opera Company and remains its artistic director. Vick's productions with Birmingham Opera include the first UK production of Othello to feature a black tenor in the title role in 2009, and the 2012 world premiere of Karlheinz Stockhausen's notoriously difficult Mittwoch aus Licht.
- Laura Barnett (23 October 2007). "Portrait of the artist: Graham Vick, opera director". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-12-24.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Graham Vick (20 October 2003). "Enter the fat lady". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-12-24.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Samantha Ellis (7 April 2003). "Mass production". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-12-24.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Maddocks, Fiona (2009-12-13). "Guardian Review of Othello". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 2012-09-27.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- The London Gazette: . 13 June 2009.
- Vick, Graham by Barry Millington, in 'The New Grove Dictionary of Opera', ed. Stanley Sadie (London, 1992) ISBN 0-333-73432-7
- Jasper Rees, 'La traviata: A Nuremberg-style display of synchronised chair-swivelling', The Daily Telegraph, 25 October 2007 
- Edward Rothstein, 'In New Hall, Echoes of Glyndebourne Old', New York Times, 4 June 1994 
- Martin Bernheimer, 'Living Dangerously' (Profile of Graham Vick), Opera News, June 2000 
- Hamilton, Mary. (1990). A-Z of Opera. New York, Oxford, Sydney: Facts On File. p. 212. ISBN 0-8160-2340-9.
- Sadie, Stanley and John Tyrrell. (2001). The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians. London: Macmillan Publishers Ltd. Vol. 26, p. 530. ISBN 0-333-60800-3.
- Warrack, John and Ewan West. (1996 3rd ed.). The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Opera. New York: Oxford University Press. p. 538. ISBN 0-19-280028-0.