The Green Ensign (Irish: An Meirge Uaine) is a historical flag flown by some Irish merchant vessels from the 17th century to the early 20th century. The flag consists of a green field with a golden harp and a canton containing either the English Flag (St George's Cross) or a version of the Union Flag or "Union Jack".
This flag has appeared in these historical flag plates:
- 1685 Downham's Flag Chart
- 1700 Len's Flag Chart
- 1772 French Encyclopédie
- 1783 Bowles's Universal Display of the Naval Flags of all Nations
- 1799 Flags of all Nations
- 1848 Flaggen Aller Seefahrenden Nationen
- 1868 Johnson's new chart of national emblems
- 1889 Drawings of Flags of All Nations - British Admiralty
- 1917 National Geographic Flag Book
There remains a lively debate concerning whether the flag had any form of local official status within the British Isles or was simply an informal flag used by some merchant ships.
|This European flag–related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|
|This Ireland-related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|