Greenville Township, Darke County, Ohio
|Greenville Township, Darke County, Ohio|
|The Beehive School, a historic site in the township
The Beehive School, a historic site in the township
|Location in Darke County and the state of Ohio.
Location in Darke County and the state of Ohio.
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|• Total||57.5 sq mi (148.9 km2)|
|• Land||57.3 sq mi (148.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||1,033 ft (315 m)|
|• Density||307/sq mi (118.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086014|
Greenville Township is one of the twenty townships of Darke County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 17,613 people in the township, 4,386 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township, including Woodington.
Located in the center of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Brown Township - north
- Richland Township - northeast
- Adams Township - east
- Van Buren Township - southeast
- Neave Township - south
- Liberty Township - southwest
- Washington Township - west
- Jackson Township - northwest corner
The city of Greenville, the county seat of Darke County, is located in central Greenville Township. The unincorporated community of Woodington is on the border between Greenville and Brown townships, and is named after its first settler, John Woodington.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are George S. Luce Jr., William Kelly, and Mike Stegall, and the clerk is Barbara Anthony.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Greenville township, Darke County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Remainder of Greenville township, Greenville township, Darke County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- The History of Darke County, Ohio: Containing a History of the County; Its Cities, Towns, Etc. W. H. Beers & Company. 1880. p. 293.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Township Trustees. Darke County. Accessed 2007-06-01.