Smits was born in Columbia, Missouri. He earned a BA from the University of Florida in 1983. He was awarded a master's degree from the University of Hawaii at Manoa. The University of Southern California granted his Ph.D.
Smit's published writings encompass 8 works in 18 publications in 2 languages and 1,101 library holdings.
- The sages' scale in Japan: Nakae Tōju (1608-1648) and situational weighing, 1991
- Visions of Ryukyu identity and ideology in early-modern thought and politics, 1999
- Jahana Noboru: Ikinawan activist and scholar, 2002
- The politics of culture in early twentieth century Okinawa, 2006
- Economic thought in early modern Japan, 2010
|This Japanese history–related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|
|This biography of an American academic is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|