Hamid Samandarian (front), beside Philip Volti, the previous Swiss ambassador to Iran
May 6, 1931|
|Died||July 12, 2012
|Occupation||Film director, Theatre director, Screenwriter, Playwright, Translator|
|Spouse(s)||Homa Rousta (1972–2012, his death)|
|Children||Kaveh (b. 1965)|
Hamid Samandarian (Persian: حمید سمندریان May 6, 1931 – July 12, 2012) was an Iranian film and theater director and translator. He staged numerous dramas during his lifetime, including No Exit by Jean-Paul Sartre, Ghosts by Henrik Ibsen, The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams and Marriage of Mr. Mississippi by Friedrich Durrenmatt.
Having established many acting and directing classes and workshops, Samandarian trained a lot of Iranian talents as actors and directors including; Ezzatolah Entezami, Reza Kianian, Golab Adineh, Mehdi Hashemi, Parviz Pour-Hosseini, Ahmad Aghalou, etc. He married Homa Rousta, an Iranian film and theater actress.
He translated and then staged many famous plays written by famous playwrights during his lifetime such as Friedrich Durrenmatt, Bertolt Brecht, Anton Chekhov, Eugène Ionesco, Arthur Miller, Max Frisch, Tennessee Williams, Jean-Paul Sartre, and Henrik Ibsen.
- The Visit of the Lady, Friedrich Dürrenmatt - 2008
- The Caucasian Chalk Circle, Bertolt Brecht - 1999
- The Marriage of Mr. Mississippi, Friedrich Dürrenmatt - 1990
- The Seagull, Anton Chekhov - 1978
- Play Strindberg, Friedrich Dürrenmatt - 1973 and 2000
- Rhinoceros, Eugène Ionesco - 1973
- A View from the Bridge, Arthur Miller - 1970
- Andorra, Max Frisch - 1968
- The Forced Marriage, Molière - 1965
- The Glass Menagerie, Tennessee Williams - 1964
- Morts sans sépulture, Jean-Paul Sartre - 1964 and 1979
- Ghosts, Henrik Ibsen - 1964
He directed one film, All the Temptations of the Earth in 1989.
Many of his translations are published to Persian readership. Other than translations, some interviews with Samandarian are published. One book-length instance is in sahne khaneye man ast ("This Stage is my House"). He is also one of the directors whose talks are included in Ahmad Kamyabi Mask's important Qu'a-t-on fait de Rhinocéros d'Eugène Ionesco à travers le monde?: Allemagne, France, Roumanie, Iran, Japon, U.S.A..
- "Veteran Iranian director Hamid Samandarian dies at 81".<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Veteran Iranian director Hamid Samandarian dies aged 81".<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Hamid Samandarian dies at 81".<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles> -(Persian)