Hampden Township, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
Johannes Eberly House
|Motto: Where People Come First|
Map of Cumberland County, Pennsylvania highlighting Hampden Township
Map of Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
|Incorporated||Jan 23, 1845|
|• Type||Board of Commissioners|
|• President||Al Bienstock|
|• Vice President||John Thomas|
|• Total||17.9 sq mi (46.3 km2)|
|• Land||17.3 sq mi (44.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.4 km2)|
|• Density||1,617/sq mi (624.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Hampden Township is located in northeastern Cumberland County, drained by Conodoguinet Creek, which makes several large bends across the middle of the township on its way east towards the Susquehanna River. Blue Mountain separates the township in the north from Perry County. Its villages include Brennemans Mill, Good Hope, Mount Zion, and Sporting Hill.
Interstate 81 crosses the northern part of the township, with access from Exit 61 (Pennsylvania Route 944) at Mount Zion. Pennsylvania Route 581, the southwestern segment of Harrisburg's Capital Beltway, interchanges with I-81 in the west and runs south then east across the township, with access from Exit 2 (Creekview Road), Exit 3 (Carlisle Pike/U.S. Route 11), and Exit 4 (Pennsylvania Route 641).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 17.9 square miles (46.3 km2), of which 17.3 square miles (44.9 km2) is land and 0.54 square miles (1.4 km2), or 2.93%, is water.
- East Pennsboro Township (east)
- Camp Hill (southeast)
- Lower Allen Township (south)
- Shiremanstown (south)
- Mechanicsburg (southwest)
- Silver Spring Township (west)
- Rye Township, Perry County (north)
As of the census of 2010, there were 28,044 people, 11,470 households, and 7,993 families residing in the township. The population density was 1,558 people per square mile (524.4/km²). There were 12,261 housing units at an average density of 681.1/sq mi (217.1/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 88.9% White, 1.7% African American, 0.1% Native American, 7.1% Asian, 0.0% Pacific Islander, 0.6% from other races, and 0.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.0% of the population.
There were 11,470 households, out of which 29.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.7% were married couples living together, 7.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.3% were non-families. 25.4% of all households were made up of individuals, and 9.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.44 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the township the population was spread out, with 23.2% under the age of 18, 9.6% from 18 to 24, 25.2% from 25 to 44, 31.2% from 45 to 64, and 15.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42.6 years. For every 100 females there were 93.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.4 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $85,284, and the median income for a family was $105,121. Males had a median income of $62,566 versus $51,473 for females. The per capita income for the township was $42,955. About 1.2% of families and 3.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.6% of those under age 18 and 3.1% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
Hampden Township became a first class township on Jan 1, 1960.
Hampden Township is served by the Cumberland Valley School District. The township is home to three public elementary schools and one public middle school.
- Hampden Elementary
- Shaull Elementary
- Sporting Hill Elementary
- Good Hope Middle School
(Exception: few students also attend Eagle View Middle School)
Parks and recreation
Hampden township maintains over 100 acres (0.40 km2) of parkland and recreation facilities.
- Hampden Pool and Park
- Creekview Recreation Area
- Salem Community Park
- Conodoguinet Youth Park
The township also manages Armitage Golf Club, a 70-par course located along Orrs Bridge Road.
- Indian Creek Park
- Pinebrook Neighborhood Park
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Hampden township, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 19, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Staff (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Contact Us." Pennsylvania Department of Corrections. Retrieved on October 5, 2012. "Central Office: 1920 Technology Parkway, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050"
- "Street Map." (Archive) Hampden Township. Retrieved on October 5, 2012.
- Hampden Township official website
- Hampden Township Recreation Department
- Armitage Golf Club
- Cumberland Valley School District
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.