Harry Hart (athlete)
|Representing South Africa|
|British Empire Games|
|1930 Hamilton||Discus throw|
|1930 Hamilton||Shot put|
|1934 London||Discus throw|
|1934 London||Shot put|
|1934 London||Javelin throw|
|1930 Hamilton||Javelin throw|
Henry ("Harry") Beltsazer Hart (2 September 1905 – 10 November 1979) was a South African athlete who competed in the 1932 Summer Olympics.
He was born in Harrismith, Free State, and died in Reitz.
In 1932 he finished tenth in the Olympic shot put event, eleventh in the decathlon competition, and twelfth in the discus throw contest.
At the 1930 Empire Games he won the gold medal in the discus throw event as well as in the shot put competition. He also won the bronze medal in the javelin throw contest and finished fifth in the 120 yards hurdles event. In the 440 yards hurdles competition he was eliminated in the heats.
Four years later at the 1934 Empire Games he won again the gold medal in the discus throw event as well as in the shot put competition. In the javelin throw contest he won the silver medal.
Hart was the owner of the Royal Hotel in Reitz, Free State, South Africa. He was friends with Douglas Fairbanks, Errol Flynn, Clark Gable, Johnny Weissmuller and Blackie Swarts (at that time a cowboy actor and later the first president of South Africa). He was offered the part of Tarzan but refused as he had to return home to his farm to practice for the Empire Games. He had a study-trophy room at his hotel where there were hundreds of photographs of himself in the company of the above-mentioned and Esther Williams, Maureen O'Sullivan and others.
Template:Footer Commonwealth Champions Discus Men Template:Footer Commonwealth Champions Shot Put Men
- Use dmy dates from September 2012
- Use South African English from September 2012
- All Wikipedia articles written in South African English
- 1905 births
- 1979 deaths
- People from Harrismith
- South African discus throwers
- South African shot putters
- South African javelin throwers
- South African hurdlers
- South African decathletes
- Olympic athletes of South Africa
- Athletes (track and field) at the 1932 Summer Olympics
- Commonwealth Games competitors for South Africa
- Athletes (track and field) at the 1930 British Empire Games
- Athletes (track and field) at the 1934 British Empire Games
- Commonwealth Games gold medallists for South Africa
- Commonwealth Games silver medallists for South Africa
- Commonwealth Games bronze medallists for South Africa
- Commonwealth Games medallists in athletics
- South African athletics biography stubs