Hellenic Statistical Authority
|Ελληνική Στατιστική Αρχή|
|Formed||22 July 2010|
|Annual budget||29.3 m Euro (2013)|
Since July 2010, it has been an autonomous legal entity under public law, independent from the Greek government and subject only to the control of the Hellenic Parliament. Prior to July 2010, ELSTAT was a non-autonomous service of the Greek state known as the National Statistical Service of Greece (Greek: Εθνική Στατιστική Υπηρεσία). Andreas V. Georgiou was appointed President of the newly established independent ELSTAT office in 2010 and started 2 August 2010. Soon afterwards he announced that the deficit of the Greek budget in 2009 was 15%, not 12% as had previously been claimed.
ELSTAT was founded during the premiership of George Papandreou (PASOK) (Cabinet of George Papandreou). Since then, it has also worked for Cabinet of Lucas Papademos (coalition cabinet, November 2011 until Mai 2012), Cabinet of Panagiotis Pikrammenos, Cabinet of Antonis Samaras (coalition) and Cabinet of Alexis Tsipras (SYRIZA, since January 2015).
The primary user of the Hellenic Statistical Authority is the Greek state. However, the Authority is also used by international organizations such as the European Commission (Eurostat) and others.
The Hellenic Statistical Authority collects data which concern population, employment and unemployment, tourism and the economy, industry, as well as data concerning health and social insurance, education and others. Prior to becoming an independent authority, ELSTAT was involved in a number of scandals involving false statistics regarding the condition of the Greek economy in recent years.
- Economy of Greece
- List of national and international statistical services
- Greek Financial Audit, 2004
- "ELSTAT Annual Report 2013" (PDF). ELSTAT. 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Legal Frame". Hellenic Statistical Authority. Retrieved 3 July 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- European support to the President of ELSTAT and independence of statistical authorities - Czech Statistical Office, 26 May 2015
- sueddeutsche.de 3. August 2015: Athener Börse öffnet wieder - und stürzt ab
- Kathimerini 2. August 2015: Αποχωρεί από την ΕΛΣΤΑΤ μετά τη λήξη της θητείας του ο Ανδρέας Γεωργίου
- "Presentation". Hellenic Statistical Authority. Retrieved 3 July 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Στον ΑΠ τα ψευδή στοιχεία που εστάλησαν στη Eurostat" (in Greek). Retrieved 3 July 2011. <templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- No URL found. Please specify a URL here or add one to Wikidata. (Greek) (English)
- Rosenbaum, Andrew Jay, "Greek statistics chief accused of inflating deficit", Anadolu Agency, 24 March 2015.