ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 Coding of audio, picture, multimedia and hypermedia information is a standardization subcommittee of the Joint Technical Committee ISO/IEC JTC 1 of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), that develops and facilitates international standards, technical reports, and technical specifications within the field of audio, picture, multimedia, and hypermedia information coding. The international secretariat of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 is the Japanese Industrial Standards Committee (JISC) located in Japan.
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 was established in 1991, when the subcommittee took over the tasks of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 2/WG 8. Its original title was “Coded Representation of Audio, Picture, Multimedia and Hypermedia Information.” Within its first year, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 established four working groups, appointed its chairperson, secretariat, and working group conveners, and held its first plenary in Tokyo, Japan. ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 has published 475 standards, including standards for JPEG (ISO/IEC 10918-1), JPEG-2000 (ISO/IEC 15444-1), MPEG-1 (ISO/IEC 11172-1), MPEG-2 (ISO/IEC 13818), MPEG-4 (ISO/IEC 14996-1), MPEG-4 AVC (ISO/IEC 14496-10), JBIG (ISO/IEC 11544), and MHEG-5 (ISO/IEC 13522-5). In 1996, when the JPEG, MPEG-1, and MPEG-2 standards became widely recognized for their technological advancements, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 was awarded the 1995-1996 Technology and Engineering Emmy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Technical/Engineering Development.:11 The MPEG-4 AVC standard also won two Emmys: The Primetime Emmy Engineering Award in September 2008, and the 2007-2008 Technology and Engineering Award in January 2009.:20
The scope of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 is “Standardization of coded representation of audio, picture, multimedia and hypermedia information – and sets of compression and control functions for use with such information – such as:”
- Audio information
- Bi-level and Limited Bits-per-pixel Still Pictures
- Digital Continuous-tone Still Pictures
- Computer Graphic Images
- Moving Pictures and Associated Audio
- Multimedia and Hypermedia Information for Real-time Final Form Interchange
- Audio Visual Interactive Script-ware
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 is made up of two active working groups (WGs), each of which carries out specific tasks in standards development within the field of audio, picture, multimedia, and hypermedia information coding. Working groups can be disbanded if the group’s working area is no longer applicable to standardization needs, or established if new working areas arise. The focus of each working group is described in the group’s terms of reference. Active working groups of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 are:
|Working Group||Working Area|
|ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 1||Coding of still pictures|
|ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 11||Coding of moving pictures and audio|
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 works in close collaboration with a number of other organizations or subcommittees, both internal and external to ISO or IEC, in order to avoid conflicting or duplicative work. Organizations internal to ISO or IEC that collaborate with or are in liaison to ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 include:
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 2, Coded character sets
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 6, Telecommunications and information exchange between systems
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24, Computer graphics, image processing and environmental data representation
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34, Document description and processing languages
- ISO/TC 36, Cinematography
- ISO/TC 37, Terminology and other language and content resources
- ISO/TC 37/SC 4, Language resource management
- ISO/TC 42, Photography
- ISO/TC 46/SC 9, Identification and description
- ISO/TC 130, Graphic technology
- ISO/TC 171, Document management applications
- ISO/TC 211, Geographic information/Geomatics
- ISO/TC 223, Societal security
- ISO/TC 276, Biotechnology
- IEC TC 9, Electrical equipment and systems for railways
- IEC TC 100, Audio, video and multimedia systems and equipment
Some organizations external to ISO or IEC that collaborate with or are in liaison to ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29, include:
- Advanced Function Presentation Consortium (AFPC)
- Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions (ATIS)
- Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU)
- The Association for the International Collective Management of Audiovisual Works (AGICOA)
- Audio Engineering Society (AES)
- Audio Video Coding Standard Workgroup of China (AVS)
- Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC)
- Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems (CCSDS)
- DICOM Standards Committee
- Digital Media Project (DMP)
- Digital TV Group (DTG)
- Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB)
- Dublin Core Metadata Initiative (DCMI)
- Ecma International
- Entertainment Content Ecosystem
- European Broadcasting Union (EBU)
- European Committee for Standardization (CEN)
- European Network on Quality of Experience in Multimedia Systems and Services (QUALINET)
- International Confederation of Societies of Authors and Composers (CISAC)
- International Commission on Illumination (CIE)
- International DOI Foundation (IDF)
- International Federation of Film Producers Associations (FIAPF)
- International Imaging Industry Association (I3A)
- Internet Streaming Media Alliance (ISMA)
- The Internet Society
- International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI)
- International Multimedia Telecommunications Consortium (IMTC)
- International Press and Telecommunication Council (IPTC)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- JPEG 2000 Group (J2G)
- Khronos Group
- MIDI Manufacturers Association (MMA)
- National Information Standards Organization (NISO)
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO)
- Object Management Group (OMG)
- Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)
- The Open IPTV Forum (OIPF)
- Open Mobile Alliance Ltd. (OMA)
- Open Planets Foundation (OPF)
- Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE)
- The European Insurance and Reinsurance Federation (CEA)
- Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA)
- Video services forum, Inc. (VSF)
- Virtual World Forum (VirF)
- Wireless Gigabit Alliance
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
Countries pay a fee to ISO to be members of subcommittees.
The 25 "P" (participating) members of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 are: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and United States of America.
The 16 "O" (observing) members of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 are: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Denmark, Greece, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Islamic Republic of Iran, Ireland, Malaysia, Morocco, Norway, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, South Africa, and Turkey.
|ISO/IEC 10918-1||Information technology – Digital compression and coding of continuous-tone still images: Requirements and guidelines||Published (1994)||Specifies:
Provides guidance on how to implement these processes in practice;
|ISO/IEC 10918-5||Information technology – Digital compression and coding of continuous-tone still images: JPEG File Interchange Format (JFIF)||Published (2013)||Specifies the JPEG File Interchange Format (JFIF)||1|
|ISO/IEC 11544||Information technology – Coded representation of picture and audio information – Progressive bi-level image compression||Published (1993)||Defines a bit-preserving (lossless) compression method for coding image bit-planes and is particularly suitable for two-tone (including black and white) images||1|
|ISO/IEC 15444-1||Information technology – JPEG 2000 image coding system: Core coding system||Published (2004)||Defines a set of lossless and lossy compression methods for coding bi-level, continuous-tone, grey-scale, palletized color, or continuous-tone color digital still images||1|
|ISO/IEC TR 29199-1||Information technology – JPEG XR image coding system – Part 1: System architecture||Published (2011)||Provides a technical overview and informative guidelines for applications of JPEG XR image coding as specified in Part 2 of ISO/IEC 29199||1|
|ISO/IEC 29199-2||Information technology – JPEG XR image coding system – Part 2: Image coding specification||Published (2012)||Specifies a coding format, known as JPEG XR, which is designed primarily for use for continuous-tone photographic content||1|
|ISO/IEC 11172-1||Information technology – Coding of moving pictures and associated audio for digital storage media at up to about 1,5 Mbit/s – Part 1: Systems||Published (1993)||Specifies the system layer of the coding of video and audio as specified in Parts 2 and 3 of ISO/IEC 11172 known as MPEG-1, which supports the synchronization of multiple compressed streams on playback, the interleaving of multiple compressed streams into a single stream, the initialization of buffering for playback start up, continuous buffer management, and time identification||11|
|ISO/IEC 13818-1||Information technology – Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information – Part 1: Systems||Published (1996)||Specifies the system layer of coding, and is meant to support the combination of video and audio coding methods defined in Parts 2 and 3 of ISO/IEC 13818, known as MPEG-2||11|
|ISO/IEC 13818-2||Information technology – Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information – Part 2: Video||Published (1996)||Specifies a compression format for interlaced and progressive video||11|
|ISO/IEC 13818-3||Information technology – Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information – Part 3: Audio||Published (1995)||Specifies an MPEG-1 Audio backward compatible audio compression format||11|
|ISO/IEC 13818-7||Information technology – Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information – Part 7: Advanced Audio Coding||Published (1997)||Specifies an audio compression format, known as AAC (Advanced Audio Coding)||11|
|ISO/IEC 14496-1||Information technology – Coding of audio-visual objects – Part 1: Systems||Published (1999)||Specifies the system level functionalities for the communication of interactive audio-visual scenes||11|
|ISO/IEC 14496-2||Information technology – Coding of audio-visual objects – Part 2: Visual||Published (1999)||Provides the specification of:
|ISO/IEC 14496-3||Information technology – Coding of audio-visual objects – Part 3: Audio||Published (1999)||Specifies a format for audio object||11|
|ISO/IEC 14496-10 free||Information technology – Coding of audio-visual objects – Part 10: Advanced Video Coding||Published (2003)||Specifies advanced video coding for the coding of audio-visual objects, known as AVC (Advanced Video Coding)||11|
|ISO/IEC 14496-22||Information technology—Coding of audio-visual objects - Part 22: Open Font Format||Published (2009)||Specifies the Open Font Format (OFF), the ISO derivative of the OpenType font format||11|
|ISO/IEC 23003-1||Information technology – MPEG audio technologies – Part 1: MPEG Surround||Published (2007)||Describes the MPEG Surround standard which is meant for multi-channel audio compression||11|
|ISO/IEC 23003-3||Information technology – MPEG audio technologies – Part 3: Unified speech and audio coding||Published (2012)||Specifies a unified speech and audio codec that is capable of having coding signals with an arbitrary mix of speech and audio content||11|
|ISO/IEC 13522-5||Information technology – Coding of multimedia and hypermedia information – Part 5: Support for base-level interactive applications||Published (1997)||Specifies the semantics and final-form interchange syntax for MHEG-5 objects||12 (Disbanded)|
- ISO/IEC JTC1
- List of ISO standards
- Japanese Industrial Standards Committee
- International Organization for Standardization
- International Electrotechnical Commission
- ISO. "ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO (2012), "ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 27 Security Techniques", ISO/IEC JTC1 Standing Document N 2
- Karmasin, Matthias (2013). Diehl, Sandra, ed. Media Convergence and Management. New York. p. 208.
- ISO/IEC (2000-04-03). "ISO/IEC Awarded Emmy for JPEG, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- National Academy of Television arts and Sciences (2011-01-19). "Outstanding Achievement in Technical/Engineering Development Awards" (PDF). Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- ISO (2009-03-18). "Second Emmy Award for ISO/IEC MPEG-4 AVC Standard". Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- ANSI (2009-04-01). "IEC and ISO Win Emmy for MPEG Standards". Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- ISO (2008-08-26). "Revolutionary Video Standard Receives Emmy Award". Quality Digest. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- IBC (2008-09-11). "MPEGIF Congratulates JVT on Its 2008 Primetime Emmy Engineering Award and Announces Inclusion of MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 High Profile in the MPEGIF Logo Qualification Program". Business Wire. Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- Tribbey, Chris (2008-08-13). "Joint Video Team to Receive Emmy". Home Media Magazine. Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- Asai, Kohtaro; Watanabe, Shinji (2012-10-10). Business Plan for JTC 1/SC 29 (PDF) (Business Plan). Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO. "ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 (2013-09-17). "L-Members". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- "ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 Liaisons". ISO. Retrieved 2015-07-15.
- ISO. "III. What Help Can I Get from the ISO Central Secretariat?". ISO Membership Manual (PDF). ISO. pp. 17–18. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- ISO. "Standards Catalogue: ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO/IEC. "Freely Available Standards". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 (2013-10-02). "Programme of Work Allocated to SC 29/WG 1". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29 (2013-10-10). "Programme of Work Allocated to SC 29/WG 11". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO (2011-09-22). "ISO/IEC 10918-1". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO (2013-04-26). "ISO/IEC 10918-5:2013". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO (2010-06-17). "ISO/IEC 11544:1993". Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- ISO (2009-12-17). "ISO/IEC 15444:2004". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO/IEC (2000-12-15). "ISO/IEC 15444-1" (PDF) (1 ed.). p. 1. Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO (2011-07-01). "ISO/IEC 29199-2:2011". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO (2012-03-16). "ISO/IEC 29199-2:2012". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO (2010-06-17). "ISO/IEC 11172-1:1993". Retrieved 2013-10-18.
- ISO (2009-09-21). "ISO/IEC 13818-4:2004". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO (2013-09-27). "ISO/IEC 13818-2:2013" (3 ed.). Retrieved 2013-12-19.
- ISO (2009-04-30). "ISO/IEC 13818-3:1998" (2 ed.). Retrieved 2013-12-19.
- ISO (2010-06-20). "ISO/IEC 13818-7:2006" (4 ed.). Retrieved 2013-12-19.
- ISO (2010-05-20). "ISO/IEC 14496-1:2010". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO (2009-09-21). "ISO/IEC 14496-2:2004". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO (2009-08-26). "ISO/IEC 14496-3:2009" (4 ed.). Retrieved 2013-12-19.
- ISO/IEC (2012-05-01). "ISO/IEC 14496-10" (7 ed.): 1.
- ISO (2009-08-15). "ISO/IEC 14496-22:2009" (2 ed.). Retrieved 2015-08-03.
- ISO (2012-06-22). "ISO/IEC 23003-1:2007". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- "ISO/IEC 23003-1" (PDF) (1 ed.). 2007-02-15: 1. Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO (2012-03-23). "ISO/IEC 23003-3:2012". Retrieved 2013-10-11.
- ISO (1997-04-15). "ISO/IEC 13522-5 Preview" (PDF) (1 ed.). Retrieved 2013-10-18.