19 December 1993 |
|Event(s)||3000 metres, 5000 metres|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||3000 m: 7:32.43 m (Doha 2012)
5000 m: 12:48.64 m (Paris 2012)
On 11 February 2011, Koech became just the fourth man to run the 5000 m indoor under 13 minutes when he clinched victory in 12 min 53.29 sec at the PSD Bank Meeting in Düsseldorf. He then ran a world junior indoor best for the 3000 m at the Indoor Flanders Meeting a few days later, running a time of 7:37.50 minutes  Koech controlled the junior race at the Kenyan Cross Country Championships and took first place, earning a spot for the Junior World Cross.
Despite being a provisional favourite for the junior race at the 2011 IAAF World Cross Country Championships, he ended the race in tenth place, although he did help Kenya to the team title alongside Geoffrey Kipsang and Patrick Mutunga Mwikya. Moving into the senior ranks, he ran over 5000 m at the 2011 World Championships in Athletics and closely finished behind the medallists to place fourth overall. In December, he returned to cross country and won the Lotto Cross Cup Brussels by a margin of over half a minute.
At the 2012 Kenyan Olympic trials he ran the fastest ever 5000 m time in Kenya to win the race and guarantee his first Olympic selection.
|3000 m||7:32.43||Doha, Qatar (11 May 2012)|
|5000 m||12:48.64||Paris, France (6 July 2012)|
- "Kenya ends 'Sudtirol 2009' WYC on high, tops medals table". Athletics Africa. 12 July 2009.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Koech avec les grands". L'Equipe (in français). 11 February 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Hedrix, Ivo (2011-02-14). Kombich clocks world leading 3:34.13 in Gent, junior Koech continues to impress. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-02-14.
- Mutuota, Mutwiri (2011-02-19). Mutai and Masai take hard fought wins in Nairobi; reigning World champs Ebuya and Chebet won’t defend. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-02-20.
- 2010 IAAF XC Championships - Junior men's race. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-03-29.
- Hendrix, Ivo (2011-12-18). Koech puts on a demonstration, while Chepkwony repeats in Brussels. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-12-22.
- Mutuota, Mutwiri (2012-06-23). Rudisha runs 1:42.12 at altitude – Kenyan Olympic Trials. IAAF. Retrieved on 2012-06-24.