Abbreviated title (ISO 4)
|Discipline||History of science|
|Edited by||Floris Cohen|
University of Chicago Press (United States)
Isis, a quarterly peer-reviewed academic journal published by University of Chicago Press, focuses on the history of science, history of medicine, and the history of technology, as well as on their cultural influences. It features both original research articles and extensive book reviews and review essays.
Isis was established in Ghent, Belgium in 1912 by George Sarton and is the official publication of the History of Science Society. The journal predates the society, which was founded "to secure the future of Isis". It was not published between 1915 and 1918 because of World War I; publication resumed in 1919 after Sarton was established at Harvard University.
Contributions were originally in any of four European languages (English, French, German, and Italian), but since the 1920s, only English has been used. Publication is partly supported by an endowment from the Dibner Fund. Two associated publications are Osiris (established 1936 by Sarton) and Horus, his bibliography on the history of science. For the first forty years, Sarton was the editor of Isis.
The IsisCB is an open access digital discovery platform for resources in the history of science and related fields. It is a continuation of the "Isis Current Bibliography," (formerly the Isis Critical Bibliography and, in collected volumes, the Isis Cumulative Bibliography) published annually as a fifth issue of Isis. It includes citations to publications in the history of science and related fields, including books, book reviews, and journal articles and more. The bibliography is the oldest and largest bibliography in the field, going back to the first issue of Isis in 1913. IsisCB is freely available at the IsisCB Explore website.
The following persons have been editor-in-chief of Isis:
Abstracting and indexing
This journal is abstracted and indexed in:
According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2011 impact factor of 0.779, ranking it 8th out of 50 journals in the category "History and Philosophy of Science" (Science edition) and 7th out of 36 journals in the same category in the Social Sciences edition.
- "The History of Science". The Independent. Jul 20, 1914. Retrieved August 23, 2012.
- "The History of Science Society | The Society". hssonline.org. Retrieved 2012-08-24.
- George Sarton (22 February 1919), Letter to the New York Evening Post
- "IsisCB - Search". data.isiscb.org.
- "Current Bibliography of the History of Science and Its Cultural Influences, 2011" (PDF). 102 (S1, 2011). University of Chicago Press on behalf of The History of Science Society. December 2011. doi:10.1086/664935. Retrieved 2012-07-09.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: History and Philosophy of Science". 2011 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2012.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: History and Philosophy of Science". 2011 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Social Sciences ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2012.