Ivan Kostov Nikolov
From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
|Native name||Иван Костов Николов|
|Born||24 December 1913 O.S.
Plovdiv, Kingdom of Bulgaria
|Died||31 March 2004 (aged 90)
Sofia, Republic of Bulgaria
|Fields||mineralogy; geology, X-ray crystallography|
|Institutions||Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski", London Imperial College, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, National Museum of Natural History (Bulgaria)|
|Alma mater||Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski", London Imperial College|
|Known for||Kostov's Classification of Minerals|
Ivan Kostov Nikolov (Bulgarian: Иван Костов Николов) (December 24, 1913 (O.S.) in Plovdiv, Bulgaria – March 31, 2004 in Sofia, Bulgaria) was a Bulgarian geologist, mineralogist and crystallographer.
Honors and recognitions 
- President of the International Mineralogical Association (1982–1986)
- Honorary Fellow of the Geological Society of London
- Honorary Member of the Mineralogical Society of Great Britain and Ireland
- Honorary Member of the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
- Foreign Honorary Member of the Russian Mineralogical Society
- Foreign Member of the USSR Academy of Sciences
- Founder and Honorary President of the Bulgarian Mineralogical Society
- Doctor Honoris Causa of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
- Honorary citizen of Plovdiv
- The Institute of Mineralogy and Crystallography at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences was named after him.
- The mineral kostovite was named in his honour.
- A genus of cretaceous ammonites was named in his honour.
- Ivan Kostov, Ruslan I. Kostov, Crystal Habits of Minerals, Sofia: Academic Publishing House "Marin Drinov", 1999.
- Ivan Kostov, Mineralogy, Edinburgh & London: Oliver & Boyd, 1968.
- Ivan K. Bonev (2004): In Memoriam Academician Ivan Kostov (1913-2004) Mineral. Mag., 68, No.4, 709-711.
- Kostov, Ivan Nikolov (1979) in the Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Retrieved April 16, 2012.
- Костов, Руслан; Братанова, Фани (2013). Живот, посветен на науката, Академик Иван Костов, Планетарна импресия. Sofia: Prof. Marin Drinov Academic Publishing House.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- G. Terziev (1966): Kostovite, A Gold-Copper Telluride from Bulgaria American Mineralogist, 51, Jan.-Feb., 29-36.
- St. Breskovski (1977), Genres nouveaux du Crétacé inférieur de la famille Desmoceratidae Zittel, 1895 (Ammonoidea). C.R. Acad. bulg. Sci., 30, 10; 1463-65.
- In Memoriam Ivan Kostov, on the page of the Bulgarian Mineralogical Society, Accessed on 16 April 2012.
- Obituary of Ivan Kostov on the page of The Geological Society of London, Accessed on 16 April 2012.
- Works by or about Ivan Kostov Nikolov in libraries (WorldCat catalog)