Jackson Township, Darke County, Ohio
|Jackson Township, Darke County, Ohio|
|Fields along Young Road, east of Union City
Fields along Young Road, east of Union City
|Location in Darke County and the state of Ohio
Location in Darke County and the state of Ohio
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|• Total||31.0 sq mi (80.4 km2)|
|• Land||31.0 sq mi (80.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,066 ft (325 m)|
|• Density||93/sq mi (35.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086016|
Jackson Township is one of the twenty townships of Darke County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 2,876 people in the township, 1,210 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Mississinawa Township - north
- Allen Township - northeast
- Brown Township - east
- Greenville Township - southeast corner
- Washington Township - south
- Wayne Township, Randolph County, Indiana - southwest
- Jackson Township, Randolph County, Indiana - northwest
The village of Union City is located in western Jackson Township, along the Indiana border.
Name and history
Jackson Township was split from Washington Township in 1833 but reduced by the creation of Gibson Township (now a part of Mercer County) in 1836. Ten families who arrived in the area in 1829 were the first settlers within the modern boundaries of the township.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are Richard Brooks, James Hanes, and Douglas Longfellow, and the clerk is Sandy Denniston.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Jackson township, Darke County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Remainder of Jackson township, Jackson township, Darke County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 2, 2015.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Wilson, Frazer Ells (1914). History of Darke County, Ohio, from its earliest settlement to the present time. Hobart Publishing Company. p. 548.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Township Trustees. Darke County. Accessed 2007-06-01.