Janet Arnold (October 6, 1932 Bristol – November 2, 1998) was a British clothing historian, costume designer, teacher, conservator, and author. She was awarded the 1998 Sam Wanamaker Prize.
Janet Arnold Award
She funded the Janet Arnold Award to further in-depth study of Western dress, administered by the Society of Antiquaries of London. "Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they wish to pursue a particular piece of original research based on items of dress or their remains, with a view to eventually disseminating knowledge gained with the award through publication, display, cataloguing, teaching or through practical use in conservation or accurate reproduction."
- 1964: Patterns of Fashion 1 (cut and construction of women's clothing, 1660-1860), Wace 1964, Macmillan 1972. Revised metric edition, Drama Books 1977. ISBN 0-89676-026-X.
- 1966: Patterns of Fashion 2: Englishwomen's dresses and their construction c. 1860-1940, Wace 1966, Macmillan 1972. Revised metric edition, Drama Books 1977. ISBN 0-89676-027-8
- 1970: Perukes and Periwigs, Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1970. A booklet on the development of wig styles in paintings at the National Portrait Gallery, London.
- 1973: A Handbook of Costume, Macmillan 1973. Reprinted 1978. A guide to the primary sources for costume study.
- 1980: Lost from Her Majesty's Back, the Costume Society, 1980. Items of clothing and jewels lost or given away by Elizabeth I between 1561 and 1583, entered in one of the day books kept for the records of the Wardrobe of Robes.
- 1985: Patterns of Fashion: the cut and construction of clothes for men and women 1560-1620, Macmillan 1985. Revised edition 1986. ISBN 0-89676-083-9
- 1988: Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlock'd, W. S. Maney and Son Ltd, Leeds, 1988. ISBN 0-901286-20-6 A study of the clothing of Queen Elizabeth I, based on portraits, surviving inventories of the Wardrobe of Robes, and other original documents.
- 2008: Patterns of Fashion 4: the cut and construction of linen shirts, smocks, neckwear, headwear and accessories for men and women c. 1540-1660, London, Macmillan, November 2008, ISBN 978-0-333-57082-1