Brown c. 2004
August 30, 1937 |
Houston, Texas, United States
|Years active||Late 1940s–present|
|Associated acts||Louis Armstrong|
Jewel Brown (born August 30, 1937 in Houston, Texas, United States) is an American jazz and blues singer. She is primarily known for her work in the 1950s and 1960s. Before a retirement period she was part of Louis Armstrong's ensemble. She is currently part of the Heritage Hall Jazz Band.
Life and career
Her first professional performance was at the age of 12 in the Manhattan Club in Galveston, Texas. Before she graduated from high school, Lionel Hampton offered the opportunity to tour professionally in Europe. She graduated from Jack Yates High School.
In 1957, on a vacation to Los Angeles, California, she sat in with organist Earl Grant at the Club Pigalle. Grant hired her that night and she continued performing with him for a year. She went on to work for Dallas, Texas nightclub owner Jack Ruby. In the next decade she was offered singing positions with Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong. She chose Armstrong, and appeared with him in the films Louis Armstrong and All Stars and Solo.
She retired in 1971 to care for ailing members of her family, and later established a hair salon in Houston. In recent years she has revived her career, singing in the Heritage Hall Jazz Band.
- As leader/co-leader
- As sideman
- With Louis Armstrong: Best Live Concert 1: Jazz in Paris (Verve)
- With Louis Armstrong: Louis Armstrong - Live in Australia (DVD) (Euroarts)
- "Jewel Brown". Allaboutjazz.com. Retrieved 2013-03-21.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Blues Music Awards Nominees - 2013 - 34th Blues Music Awards". Blues.org. Retrieved 2013-03-21.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Milton Hopkins & Jewel Brown - Jewel Brown, Milton Hopkins : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-03-21.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to [[commons:Lua error in Module:WikidataIB at line 506: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).|Lua error in Module:WikidataIB at line 506: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).]].|