|The Right Reverend
|Acting Bishop of Leicester
Bishop of Brixworth
|Diocese||Diocese of Leicester
Diocese of Peterborough
|In office||2015–present (Leicester)
|Predecessor||Frank White (Brixworth)|
|Other posts||Rural Dean of Wimborne (2004–2011)|
|Consecration||2 June 2011|
|Born||14 June 1962|
|Children||1 son and 1 daughter: Thomas and Anna|
|Alma mater||St Peter's College, Oxford|
John Edward Holbrook (born 14 June 1962) is a Church of England bishop. He is the Bishop of Brixworth in the Diocese of Peterborough and the Acting Bishop of Leicester (of the Diocese of Leicester). He had been Rural Dean of Wimborne in the Diocese of Salisbury.
Education and ministry
Holbrook grew up in Bristol where he was educated at the Bristol Cathedral Choir School. As an undergraduate he studied theology at St Peter's College, Oxford, where he obtained his MA (Oxbridge MA after a BA(Hons)).
Holbrook attended theological college at Ridley Hall, Cambridge and was ordained a deacon in 1986 and a priest in 1987. His first ordained ministry position was as a curate at St Mary the Virgin, Barnes, London. In 1989, he moved to St. Mary's Church, Bletchley as senior curate and curate-in-charge of Whaddon Way Ecumenical Church (an Anglican-Baptist local ecumenical partnership (LEP). In 1993 he became the Vicar of Adderbury with Milton and, from 2000, also the Rural Dean of Deddington.
From 2002 until 2011, Holbrook was Rector of Wimborne Minster and priest-in-charge of Witchampton, Stanbridge and Long Crichel. He also became chaplain of the South and East Dorset Primary Care Trust and, in 2004, the Rural Dean of Wimborne. From 2006, he was also an honorary canon and prebendary of Salisbury Cathedral as well as priest-in-charge of Horton, Chalbury, Hinton Martel and Holt Saint James.
On 4 March 2011, 10 Downing Street announced Holbrook as the Bishop-designate of Brixworth in the Diocese of Peterborough, in succession to Frank White. He was consecrated as a bishop at Westminster Abbey on 2 June 2011 and installed at Peterborough Cathedral on 29 June. He shares overall responsibility with the Bishop of Peterborough, the diocesan bishop, for the whole diocese.
Marriage and family
Holbrook is married to Elizabeth, whom he met while studying at Oxford University; she is a tax accountant. The couple have one son and one daughter, Thomas and Anna. Thomas is a student reading Computer Science at St John's College, Durham University. Elizabeth's father, Robert, is a retired Church of England priest who often attends his son-in-law's previous parish church at Wimborne Minster.
- The Reverend John Holbrook (1986–2006)
- The Reverend Canon John Holbrook (2006–2011)
- The Right Reverend John Holbrook (2011–present)
- Diocese of Peterborough— Next Bishop of Brixworth announced
- Diocese of Peterborough — Bishop-designate of Brixworth
- Who's Who 2012 – BRIXWORTH, Bishop Suffragan of
- Number 10 — Suffragan See of Brixworth
- "BBC News- Suffragan Bishop of Brixworth is consecrated". Retrieved 29 September 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "John Holbrook is installed as Bishop of Brixworth in Peterborough Cathedral". Retrieved 29 September 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Diocese of Leicester — Interim Bishop of Leicester (Accessed 30 June 2015)
|Church of England titles|
|Bishop of Brixworth