April 11, 1970 |
|Occupation||Baseball play-by-play announcer, television personality|
Jon "Boog" Sciambi (//; born April 11, 1970 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) is an American sportscaster for ESPN. He has worked extensively as a baseball play-by-play announcer, calling games for ESPN television and on ESPN Radio. Sciambi's nickname, "Boog," was given to him owing to his physical resemblance to former major league player Boog Powell.
He is a graduate of Regis High School in New York City and Boston College. As Sciambi attended Boston College, he began his sportscasting experience on WZBC, the school's 1000-watt FM radio station broadcasting to the Greater Boston area. Classmates and fellow broadcasters at WZBC included Joe Tessitore and Bob Wischusen, both of whom also went on to become successful sports announcers.
Sciambi was the play-by-play announcer for the Atlanta Braves on SportSouth and FSN South from 2007 to 2009. He was paired with Joe Simpson. Late in the 2009 season, it was announced that Sciambi would be leaving the Braves and joining ESPN's Major League Baseball and college basketball coverage full-time.
He formerly worked in South Florida sports radio on 790 The Ticket, where he was a staunch opponent of discussing high school football, including the recruiting of high school players to college programs. Sciambi left the radio show on April 4, 2008 to focus on broadcasting for the Atlanta Braves. Prior to being on 790, Sciambi was a talk show host on WQAM for several years.
- Major League Baseball "Braves name new TV broadcast team" 20 December 2006
- Finn, Chad (November 30, 2012). "Broadcasters found their voices at BC". The Boston Globe. Retrieved December 6, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Rogers, Carroll. "Jon "Boog" Sciambi leaving Braves TV broadcast booth". ajc.com. Retrieved 29 August 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Jon Sciambi". espnmediazone.com. ESPN MediaZone. Retrieved 29 August 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- The Ticket shuffles lineup - 28 March 2008 - MiamiHerald.com