Education and career
He taught for 25 years at Oxford University before moving to the University of Geneva. He was a Fellow of Oriel College, Oxford, 1968–78; a Fellow of Balliol College, Oxford, 1978–94, and has been Emeritus Fellow of Balliol College since 1994.
He is an expert on ancient Greek philosophy, and has edited the two-volume collection of Aristotle's works as well as a number of commentaries on Aristotle, the pre-Socratics and other areas of Greek thought.
He married in 1965 and has two daughters.
He is the brother of the novelist Julian Barnes, and he and his family feature in the latter's memoir Nothing to be Frightened Of (2008).
- The Complete Works of Aristotle, 2 vols, 1984; reprinted with corrections, 1995 (General Editor)
- Posterior Analytics (translation and commentary on Aristotle), (1975) (revised edition, 1994)
- The Ontological Argument (1972)
- Presocratic Philosophers 2 Vols., 1979; 1 vol. revised edition, 1982
- Aristotle (1982)
- The Modes of Scepticism (1985), with Julia Annas
- Early Greek Philosophy (1987)
- The Toils of Scepticism (1990)
- The Cambridge Companion to Aristotle (1995)
- Logic and the Imperial Stoa (1997)
- Porphyry: introduction (2003)
- Truth, etc. (2007)
- Coffee with Aristotle (2008)
- Methods and Metaphysics: Essays in Ancient Philosophy I (2011)
- Logical Matters: Essays in Ancient Philosophy II (2012)
- Proof, Knowledge, and Scepticism: Essays in Ancient Philosophy III (2014)
- Mantissa: Essays in Ancient Philosophy IV (2015)
- 2011 edition (2011). "entry for Prof. Jonathan Barnes FBA". Who's Who. A & C Black.
- "Book of Members, 1780-2010: Chapter B" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 17 May 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "List of people holding a honorary degree awarded by the Humboldt-University". Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin. Retrieved 20 September 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Merritt Moseley, Understanding Julian Barnes, University of South Carolina Press (1997) [This book provides family info on the Barnes family.]