- For the New York politician, see Joseph Steinberg (politician).
|Residence||Teaneck, New Jersey|
|Alma mater||New York University|
|Known for||Computer Security and Information Security|
Joseph Steinberg is an American entrepreneur and author in the field of information security. He writes a column on the subject for Inc., and previously did so for Forbes. Steinberg holds patents in the areas of authentication, anti-phishing, and social media security technologies. Additionally, he is an author of information-security-related books.
Steinberg has worked both in information security and as a published commentator of information security. Since September 2012, he has authored a column entitled Business, Cybersecurity, and Life, and has appeared as a television commentator on cybersecurity related topics. Steinberg’s column was carried by Forbes from its inception until July 2015, since which it has been published by Inc.
Steinberg founded the cybersecurity firm, SecureMySocial, and previously co-founded the cybersecurity firm, Green Armor Solutions. He was previously Director of Technology at Whale Communications, which was acquired by Microsoft.
Steinberg has presented his work at conferences including the New York Information Systems Security Association conferences in 2001 and 2002, the Wall Street Technology Association Conference on Security, Business Continuity Planning & Technology Risk Management in 2004, the e-Financial World Expo in 2004, the BAI Multi-Factor Authentication Forum in 2006, the Massachusetts Network Communications Council Conference in 2007, and the Next-Generation Threat Protection Summit in 2012.
Steinberg has been an outspoken critic of the sexism that is often prevalent in technology companies, particularly among startups.
Since September 2012, Steinberg has authored a column entitled Business, Cybersecurity, and Life, which was published by Forbes until July 2015, and since then by Inc. He has also published security-related articles in publications and journals including the PricewaterhouseCoopers Cryptographic Centre of Excellence Journal, The SANS Institute Reading Room, The View: The Technical Journal for Lotus Notes and Domino, Secure Computing Magazine, The Tech Herald, Business Insider, Fortune (magazine), and VentureBeat.
- Steinberg, Joseph (May 14, 2015). Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP-ISSMP CBK, Second Edition. (ISC)2 Press and Auerbach Publications. p. 456. ISBN 9781466578951.
- Steinberg, Joseph; Tim Speed (March 9, 2005). SSL VPN : Understanding, evaluating and planning secure, web-based remote access: A comprehensive overview of SSL VPN technologies and design strategies. Packt Publishing. p. 212. ISBN 1904811078.
- Steinberg, Joseph (April 18, 2003). "Understanding air gab-based filtering proxies and their benefits when used for deploying web applications". In T. Speed & J. Ellis, Internet Security, 1st Edition: A Jumpstart for Systems Administrators and IT Managers, pp. 141–148. Digital Press. ISBN 1555582982. Retrieved 18 November 2014
- "Joseph Steinberg:Full Bio". Forbes. Forbes, Inc. Retrieved 18 November 2014.
- "Example of ~1,000 sites quoting Joseph Steinberg's Forbes article about Heartbleed". Google.com. Retrieved 2014-05-08.
- BBC: Apple Confirms Hacking
- "Joseph Steinberg:Full Bio". Inc. Inc. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- Entrepreneur Magazine: The Top Social Media Tools for Working Smarter, Not Harder
- Bloomberg Businessweek: Executive Profile: Joseph Steinberg
- Network World May 28, 2001: Shoring Up Security
- "Google Scholar page for Joseph Steinberg". Scholar.google.com. Retrieved 2014-05-08.
- "ISSA Computer Security 2001 Program" (PDF). ISSA. 2001-05-16. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- "ISSA Computer Security 2002 Program" (PDF). ISSA. 2002-05-15. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- "WSTA Program" (PDF). WSTA. 2004-10-21. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- "e-Financial World Expo Program" (PDF). e-Financial World. 2004-11-18. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- "Joseph Steinberg, CEO of Green Armor Solutions, to Present at the BAI Multi-Factor Authentication Forum". Green Armor Solutions. 2006-06-15. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- "Massachusetts Network Communications Council Conference: Anything, Anytime, Anywhere: 21st Century Interactions,". Joseph Steinberg. 2007-11-01. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- "Combating Next Generation Threats Requires More than Just Technology". BrightTalk. 2012-09-06. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- Kansas City Star: Textbook’s sexist photos dismay advocate for women in science and related careers
- Township of Teaneck (2010-02-09). "Township of Teaneck: February 9, 2010 Open Session Minutes". Township Clerk, Teaneck, NJ. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
Joseph Steinberg - FAB Chair - asked if the Board of Education and Council can coordinate their budget meeting
- Joseph Steinberg (2002-03-01). "Introducing Air Gap Technology" (PDF). PricewaterhouseCoopers Cryptographic Centre of Excellence. USA: PricewaterhouseCoopers. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- "SANS Reading Room: SSL VPN Security" (PDF). SANS Institute. 2003-05-16. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- Joseph Steinberg and Joshua Hosseinof (2002-07-01). "Secure Remote Access to Your Domino Infrastructure" (PDF). The View: The Technical Journal for Lotus Notes and Domino. USA: The View. Retrieved 2014-05-11.
- Joseph Steinberg (2002-05-01). "Secure computing: Untangling Security Issues to Enable Web-based Email Access". Secure Computing Magazine. USA: Secure Computing Magazine.
- "NCSAM: Battling Against Cyberattacks". The Tech Herald. 2011-10-28. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- "US area codes are no longer area codes – but they can still be used for scamming". Business Insider. 2015-06-22. Retrieved 2019-09-03. Check date values in:
- Fortune Author Page: Joseph Steinberg
- "Why the U.S. is losing the cyberwar against China". VentureBeat. 2011-11-09. Retrieved 2014-05-11.