Julia Morgan Hall
|File:Julia Morgan Hall - 2015-07-25.JPG|
Julia Morgan Hall (formerly Girton Hall)
|Location||University of California Botanical Garden, Berkeley, California|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architectural style||Bungalow/Craftsman, First Bay Tradition|
|NRHP Reference #||91001473|
|Added to NRHP||September 26, 1991|
Julia Morgan Hall (formerly Girton Hall) is a historic building in the University of California Botanical Garden in Berkeley, California. Built in 1911, the building was designed by prominent California architect Julia Morgan and originally located on the central campus of the University of California, Berkeley, near the present location of the Haas School of Business. It served as a gathering place for Berkeley's female students, who wanted a female counterpart to Senior Hall, the senior men's meeting hall.
The students began planning the hall in 1909 and raised money for the building between 1909 and 1911. The building was first called Girton Hall during this period; the name came from Girton College at the University of Cambridge, which was the first women's residential college in England. When the building opened in 1911, its name changed to Senior Women's Hall. The hall gave women's groups at Berkeley a place to meet and represented a significant step toward gender equality at the university.
In 1940, the building was moved 160 feet west to make room for a street extension. In 1969, it became a campus child care center, and its name was changed back to Girton Hall to acknowledge its history, even though the name had never been applied to the building after its construction. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
In 2014, to make way for an expansion of the Haas School of Business, the child care center moved to another location near the university campus, and Girton Hall was cut into four pieces, moved to the UC Botanical Garden, and reassembled. The name of the building was changed to Julia Morgan Hall, and it re-opened to the public in 2015.
Julia Morgan Hall - 2015-07-25.JPG
Current location at UC Botanical Garden
Girton Hall (Berkeley, CA).JPG
Previous location near Haas School of Business
- Staff (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Julia Morgan Hall: History". University of California Botanical Garden. Retrieved July 25, 2015.
- Bucher, Jr., Charles (April 10, 1991). "National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Girton Hall" (PDF). National Park Service. Retrieved August 1, 2013. Accompanied by photos.
- Handler, Mitchell (May 15, 2014). "New childhood development center readies for August opening". The Daily Californian. Retrieved July 24, 2015.
- Lau, Jessie (December 2, 2013). "Campus's Girton Hall to relocate to UC Botanical Gardens". The Daily Californian. Retrieved July 24, 2015.
- Taylor, Tracey (January 10, 2014). "Julia Morgan building to be moved across Berkeley". Berkeleyside. Retrieved July 24, 2015.
- Whiting, Sam (January 13, 2014). "Moving day a success for UC Berkeley's Julia Morgan building". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved July 24, 2015.
- Whiting, Sam (January 24, 2015). "Historic Julia Morgan building reopens at UC Botanical Garden". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved July 24, 2015.
- Julia Morgan Hall by the UC Botanical Garden