Jump Super Stars
|Jump Super Stars|
|File:Jump Super Stars Coverart.png|
|Publisher(s)||Nintendo, Tommo Inc.|
|Genre(s)||2D versus fighting|
|Mode(s)||Single player, Multiplayer|
Jump Super Stars (ジャンプスーパースターズ Janpu Sūpā Sutāzu?) is a 2D fighting game for the Nintendo DS. It was developed by Ganbarion and published by Nintendo. The game was released on August 8, 2005 in Japan and accompanied the release of a red Nintendo DS. Jump Ultimate Stars, the sequel to Jump Super Stars, has been released in Japan as of November 23, 2006.
Koma (panel) is the term for the characters that the player can use in the game. Each koma uses from 1 to 7 squares of the koma deck at the bottom screen of the Nintendo DS. The deck has 20 squares (4 x 5) for the player to place their koma.
There are three types of koma: help koma, support koma and battle koma.
- Help koma are only one square large. They'll boost up or help players in the game, but they will not appear on Battle Screen.
- Support koma are two to three squares large. These koma will show up briefly on the battle screen to help the player, generally by attacking, blocking, restoring health, or some other move.
- Battle koma are four to seven squares large, and these koma fight throughout each round. These koma represents the characters that the player controls in the battle screen, and the player can switch between characters by tapping their koma in the koma deck like a tag battle.
The player can build and store up to ten koma decks, and each deck must have at least one help koma, one support koma and one battle koma to be valid for use in battle. There are also a set of predefined decks that the player can use, but the player cannot change or delete those. It is also possible to exchange decks between friends, but they won't be able to edit the decks.
Ally boosting is done by placing koma next to each other in the deck maker. If the koma placed next to each other are "compatible", their attributes will go up. Battle characters can get a longer health bar, or increase the maximum number of special attack gauges.
This is a list of represented series in Jump Super Stars. Most of the main characters from each series appear as characters within the games. There are 27 series in total.
- Black Cat
- Eve is a selectable character.
- Ichigo Kurosaki is a selectable character.
- Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo
- Buso Renkin
- Kazuki Muto is a selectable character.
- Death Note
- Allen Walker is a selectable character.
- Dragon Ball
- Dr. Slump
- Eyeshield 21
- Gintoki Sakata is a selectable character.
- Hunter × Hunter
- Gon Freecss is a selectable character.
- Hikaru no Go
- Strawberry 100%
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
- Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
- Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo
- Kankichi Ryotsu is a selectable character.
- Mr. Fullswing
- One Piece
- Pyū to Fuku! Jaguar
- Junichi Jaguar is a selectable character.
- Rurouni Kenshin
- Himura Kenshin is a selectable character.
- Shaman King
- Slam Dunk
- Steel Ball Run
- The Prince of Tennis
- Yugi Mutou is a selectable character.
- YuYu Hakusho
- Yusuke Urameshi is a selectable character.
Low-budget video game company Tommo, Inc. had exclusive distribution rights to sell Jump Super Stars (and Jump Ultimate Stars) in North America through retailers such as Best Buy and Fry's Electronics. Many small business also received minimal stock of these games. It is possible that since the Jump series could not be localized in North America due to them being a licensing nightmare, Tommo, Inc. took it upon themselves to sell the games to major retailers with a sticker stating that Japanese is the native language. It is possible that Tommo did this through gray marketing.