|Kansas City, Missouri-
Kansas City, Kansas
|City of license||Kansas City, Missouri|
|Branding||Univision Kansas City
|Channels||Digital: 20.1 (UHF)
Virtual: 20.1 (PSIP)
|Owner||Media Vista Group, LLC
(Media Vista Kansas City, LLC)
|First air date||1989when?][|
|Call letters' meaning||K
|Former callsigns||K29CF (1989–1997)
|Former channel number(s)||Analog:
29 (UHF, 1989–1996)
|Former affiliations||ValueVision / ShopNBC (1991–2005)|
|Transmitter power||12.7 kW|
|Public license information:||Profile
KUKC-LD, UHF analog and digital channel 20.1, is a Univision-affiliated television station serving Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas, United States. The station is owned by Media Vista Group, LLC. KUKC-LP maintains office and master control facilities located on West 31st Street in Kansas City, Missouri's Westside South section, and its transmitter is located near 27th Street in Kansas City, Missouri's Western Blue Township section. On cable, the station is available on Time Warner Cable channel 26 and AT&T U-verse channel 48.
KUKC has the distinction of being the only standalone Spanish-language television station in the Kansas City market (KSMO-TV (channel 62) carries MundoMax on its second digital subchannel), and is the only Univision network affiliate in the state of Missouri.
The station first signed on the air in 1989 as K29CF; it originally operated as an affiliate of the home shopping network ValueVision. To allow full-power outlet KCWB (channel 29, now KCWE) to sign on the air, the station relocated to UHF channel 48 in 1996, and changed its callsign to K48FS. It remained a ValueVision affiliate, however it also carried children's programming during the afternoon hours (such as The Flintstones and Mighty Max).
In 2004, the station was purchased by Equity Media Holdings. Shortly after it was finalized, in January 2005, the station became the market's Univision affiliate; reflecting this, its callsign was changed to KUKC-LP (for "Univision Kansas City"). On December 8, 2008, Equity Media Holdings filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection; it then began to sell off its television station properties. KUKC was sold to SP Television on June 2, 2009. The sale closed on August 17, 2009. SP Television reached a deal to sell KUKC to Media Vista Group on December 21, 2012.
The station's digital channel is multiplexed:
|Channel||Video||Aspect||PSIP Short Name||Programming|
|20.1||1080i||16:9||KUKC-LD / Univision|
- Larson, Erik (December 8, 2008). "Equity Media, U.S. TV Station Owner, Seeks Bankruptcy". Bloomberg News. Retrieved December 9, 2008.
- "APPLICATION FOR CONSENT TO ASSIGN CONSTRUCTION PERMIT OR LICENSE FOR TV OR FM TRANSLATOR STATION OR LOW POWER TELEVISION STATION OR TO TRANSFER CONTROL OF ENTITY HOLDING TV OR FM TRANSLATOR OR LOW POWER TELEVISION STATION". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. June 15, 2009. Retrieved June 22, 2009.
- "Consummation Notice". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. August 19, 2009. Retrieved August 25, 2009.
- Seyler, Dave (January 16, 2013). "Fleet of Univision-affiliated LPTVs sold". Television Business Report. Retrieved January 20, 2013.
- RabbitEars TV Query for KUKC