Khaankhre Sobekhotep (now believed to be Sobekhotep II; known as Sobekhotep I in older studies) was an Egyptian king of the 13th Dynasty during the Second Intermediate Period. According to egyptologists Kim Ryholt and Darell Baker, Khaankhre Sobekhotep was the 13th pharaoh of the dynasty and had a short reign ca. 1735 BC. Alternatively, Jürgen von Beckerath sees him as the 16th pharaoh of the dynasty.
Sobekhotep appears in the Karnak king list as Khaankhre. A name Sobek[hote]pre is also given on column 6, line 15 of the Turin canon, which could be Sobekhotep I. However this identification is not certain and Sobekhotep I's chronological position within the 13th Dynasty is debated. Contemporary attestations of Sobekhotep comprise reliefs coming from a chapel which once stood Abydos and a fragment of inscribed column. Furthermore, the name Khaankhre Sobekhotep appears in an inscription on a granite statue pedestal once in the Amherst collection and, since 1982, in the British Museum (exhibit BM 69497). His reign was most likely only short, amounting to three to four-and-a-half years.
Ryholt mentions that Sobekhotep I may be identical with Sobekhotep II, who is only mentioned as Sobekhotep in the Turin King List. Others, like Dodson, consider Khaahnkhre Sobekhotep II and Sekhemre Khutawy Sobekhotep I to be two different rulers from the 13th Dynasty, while Bierbrier lists Khaankhre Sobekhotep I and Sekhemre Khutawy Sobekhotep II.
Media related to Sebekhotep Khaankhre at Wikimedia Commons
- K.S.B. Ryholt: The Political Situation in Egypt during the Second Intermediate Period, c.1800–1550 BC, Carsten Niebuhr Institute Publications, vol. 20. Copenhagen: Museum Tusculanum Press, 1997
- Darrell D. Baker: The Encyclopedia of the Pharaohs: Volume I - Predynastic to the Twentieth Dynasty 3300–1069 BC, Stacey International, ISBN 978-1-905299-37-9, 2008, p. 445
- K.S.B. Ryholt, The Political Situation in Egypt during the Second Intermediate Period (Carsten Niebuhr Institute Publications, vol. 20. Copenhagen: Museum Tusculanum Press, 1997), 339, File 13/13.
- C. N. Reeves, Miscellanea Epigraphica, Studien zur Altägyptischen Kultur, Bd. 13, (1986), pp. 165–170
- Aidan Dodson, Monarchs of the Nile, American Univ in Cairo Press, 2000, p 207
- Bierbrier, M.L. (2008). Historical dictionary of ancient Egypt. Scarecrow Press. ISBN 978-0-8108-5794-0. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
|Pharaoh of Egypt