|File:King in PMA 2012.jpg
King performing at the 2012 Philippine Marketing Association event
|Birth name||Filbert Girado, Jr.|
April 14, 1979 |
Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines
|Genres||Pop, R&B, acoustic|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, model, actor, television personality|
|Associated acts||Nina Girado|
Filbert B. Girado, Jr. (born April 14, 1979), better known by his stage name King, is a Filipino singer, musician, model and actor. He graduated with a degree of Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology from Far Eastern University. He is Popular for his hit songs Maybe, Bat 'di Mo Pagbigyan and Will You wait for Me from his albums Solo and The reason I exist under Star Records.
During his childhood, King was not interested in singing though, music was in his genes already. He grew up in a music-filled environment. He is the second sibling of four children. His father, Filbert Girado, Sr. was a businessman and former member of The Bayanihan Vocal Group and his mother Daulet Girado, a nurse and also musically inclined. He is the second of 4 siblings, brother of Asia's Diamond Soul Siren Nina. His Mom used to put him to piano lessons, but told his younger sister Nina to go for him instead. He possessed the talent indeed but the idea of being a singer was furthest from his mind. It was on his teen years when he discovered New Kids On The Block. He was fascinated by the high- pitched falsetto of Jordan Knight and wanted to be like him.
The love of music in the entertainment industry is too good to be resisted and King finally decided to try his luck in the music industry. King just respected the call to become a singer and joined his sister Nina as the frontman of the band MYMP. He also joined the boyband IdolZone 2 and formed his own group Domain when the band did not work out.
The last band he joined was Spunk. And when it fell apart, Star Records offered him an opportunity. Star Records at that time was planning to establish a local boy group, equivalent to international bands such as 'NSYNC and Backstreet Boys. King immediately grabbed the chance and auditioned. He was accepted but told to wait for they were lacking some more members.
Eventually, the plan of putting up a local boy band was set aside and He was chosen to be a part of the ”Solo” album project, a three-in-one album, performing with two other artists. The three was launched to stardom as solo performer through Solo. King’s first single “Maybe” hit the #1 spot in radio stations and established King as a recording artist. The album was awarded certified Gold status during King's Birthday celebration in ASAP.
He was chosen by MTV Philippines as their Rising star of the month of April 2004.
King appeared in an episode in Buttercup (TV series) of ABS CBN as a bar performer singing his song Muli mong mahalin.
He interpreted the song Huwag Ka Nang umiyak during the finals competitionn night of the 2004 Himig Handog Love songs which was recorded by True faith for the soundtrack.
King joined his fellow Star Records and ABS CBN artists in 2006 recording and doing a music video for the Philippine Tourism Authority(PTA) entitled "Pilipino sa Turismo’y Aktibo" featuring the BEST of the Philippines, beautiful sights and destinations and rich cultural heritage.
King Appeared in a couple of his sister Nina's music video and also helped her conceptualize her latest 2011 album "Stay Alive".
- Mastershowman presents Walang Tulugan(GMA 7)
- Chowtime(IBC 13)
- Heatthrobs 911 - MTB(ABS CBN 2)
- StarQuest - MTB(ABS CBN 2)
- Happy50TV Concert(ABS CBN 2)
- Victim(ABS CBN 2)
- ASAP(ABS CBN 2)
- ABS CBN 2004 Christmas special(ABS CBN 2)
- Buttercup(ABS CBN 2)
- Unang Hirit(GMA 7)
- All Star K! The 1Million Videoke challenge(GMA 7)
- Star in a Million(ABS CBN 2)
- MRS(ABS CBN 2)
- 2006 Binibining Pilipinas Talent night(GMA 7)
- Tapatan(UNTV 25)
- Sing A Gong(ABC 5)
- Mornings at ANC(ANC)
- Kris & Korina(ABS CBN 2)
- At Home Ako dito(ABS CBN 2)
- SIS(GMA 7)
- Eat Bulaga(GMA 7)
- Wowowee(ABS CBN 2)
- Myx(Studio 23)
- MTV Philippines(MTV)
- Homeboy(ABS CBN 2)
- ASOP TV(UNTV)
- 1997: Grand champion Heartthrobs 911 sing and lookalike contest (MTB,ABS CBN)
- 2005: Gold record award for Solo Album (Star records)
- 2005: Gold record award for King The reason I exist (Star records)
- 2005: Center for Pop Music Philippines Ambassador
- 2006: Best Male Performer (National Consumers Quality Awards)
- 2008: Gold Medal (Rock Category) World Championships of the Performing Arts
- 2008: Silver Medal (Contemporary Category) World Championships of the Performing Arts
- 2008: Silver Medal (Broadway Category) World Championships of the Performing Arts
- 2008: Bronze Medal (Gospel Category) World Championships of the Performing Arts
- 2004: Best Male performer (Maybe), The Awit Awards
- 2004: Best New Male performer (Maybe), The Awit Awards
- 2005: Best Male performer for Hotels, bars and Lounges, The Aliw Awards
- 2006: Best Male performer for Hotels, bars and Lounges, The Aliw Awards
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to King Girado.|
1. http://www.titikpilipino.com/news/?aid=232§ion=OPM 2.Awit Awards finals tonight at The Tent - Manila Bulletin 9-8-2004 3. Fil-Canadian talent Maria Aragon recalls how she got hooked on music and performing Inquirer.net 07-25-2011 4. Reading to children about Mother Earth By Kate V. Pedroso Philippine Daily Inquirer04/20/2008 5. Manila Bulletin June 24, 2006 6. The reason I exist album Starrecords.ph 7. http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=238898 8. http://cerphin.net/balita/Nina-unfazed-by-foreign-competition/artikulo/130070/ 9. http://www.titikpilipino.com/news/?aid=163§ion=OPM 10. http://findarticles.com/p/news-articles/manila-bulletin/mi_7968/is_2006_August_4/cesar-montano-running-elective-post/ai_n34360051/ 11. http://www.mb.com.ph/node/184608 12. http://www.gumbodigital.com/index.php?stub=Album&action=AlbumDetail&id=14747793 13. http://www.titikpilipino.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=44 14. http://forlessonspiano.com/lessons-piano/filipino-youtube-sensation-hooked-on-music-and-performing/ 15. http://titikpilipino.com/news/index.php?aid=202&msgid=40088&offset=0