McClellan with the St.Louis Cardinals
June 12, 1984 |
|April 1, 2008, for the St. Louis Cardinals|
|Last MLB appearance|
|June 29, 2013, for the Texas Rangers|
|Earned run average||3.79|
Kyle William McClellan (born June 12, 1984) is a retired professional baseball pitcher. McClellan was drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 25th round of the 2002 Major League Baseball Draft. He also played for the Texas Rangers.
Kyle McClellan was born in Florissant, Missouri and grew up in the St. Louis metro area. He graduated from suburban Hazelwood West High School in 2002. While there he was a three-sport athlete, lettering in football, basketball, and baseball. McClellan was a two-time All-State selection at both pitcher and first base. McClellan's older brother Matt served as his high school pitching coach.
McClellan signed with the Cardinals after being drafted by the club in 2002 and made his professional debut with St. Louis' rookie franchise in Johnson City. He started out as a relief pitcher but in 2003 and 2004 pitched exclusively as a starting pitcher. In 2005, McClellan made appearances out of the bullpen again until being sidelined by a torn ligament in his right elbow on July 1. McClellan underwent Tommy John surgery on July 22, 2005. After recovery and rehab from the procedure he returned to pitching in 2006 and continued to advance through the Cardinals Single-A and Double-A farm teams, returning to full-time relief pitching.
In 2008, after a strong spring training, McClellan made the Cardinals' major league roster. McClellan is only the second player from St. Louis' 2002 draft to make the big leagues. He was the major league leader in holds through August with 29 and finished the season tied for second in the majors with 30.
In 2011, McClellan earned a spot in the starting rotation after Adam Wainwright was forced to miss the entire season for Tommy John surgery. He made several starts until July when the Cardinals acquired Edwin Jackson. Sent to the bullpen, McClellan made eleven relief appearances in the month of August, allowing only one run. Pitching more innings than any other reliever in baseball that month took a toll however. By September arm fatigue set in and he was left off the Cardinals divisional playoff and World Series roster.
McClellan suffered another career setback with the Cardinals in July 2012. While recovering from elbow strain, he was attempting a throwing session at Busch Stadium when he experienced pain in the right shoulder. Exploratory surgery indicated a frayed labrum and a split in the right shoulder capsule, both requiring months of rehab following surgical repair. The injury left McClellan's future as a Cardinal in doubt. On November 13, 2012, McClellan was given his unconditional release by the Cardinals.
On January 15, 2013, McClellan signed a minor league deal (with invitation to spring training) with the Texas Rangers. He played for the Rangers' Triple A affiliate Round Rock Express and Double-A affiliate Frisco RoughRiders, before his contract was purchased by the Rangers on June 9, and he was brought up to the major leagues. He was designated for assignment on July 2, 2013.
McClellan and his wife, Bridget, make their home in Maryland Heights, Missouri. They are the parents of Olivia Grace, born one week after Mother's Day in 2011. When not involved in baseball, McClellan is an avid hunter and fisherman. McClellan's older brother, Matt, is currently a government teacher at Hazelwood West High School in Hazelwood, MO, where Kyle graduated.
- Player page at The Baseball Cube
- "Kyle McCellan Stats Summary". St. Louis Cardinals team website. 2012. Retrieved October 28, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Kyle McCellan bio". St. Louis Cardinals sports forum. 2012. Retrieved October 28, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Kyle McClellan minor league". Palm Beach Cardinals website. 2012. Retrieved October 28, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Cardinals narrowing down roster
- Cardinals 2002 draft
- "Spreading the word:Cardinals pitcher Kyle McCellan". St. Louis Post-Dispatch website. March 15, 2012. Retrieved March 18, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Strauss, Joe (July 16, 2012). "Kyle McClellan faces painful reality". St. Louis Post-Dispatch via website. Retrieved October 28, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Langosch, Jenifer (November 13, 2012). "Cards opt to part ways with righty McClellan". MLB.com via Cardinals team website. Retrieved November 14, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Kyle McClellan Stats, Bio, Photos, Highlights stlouiscardinals.com
- Jenifer Langosch "Cards' new dads praise hard work of mothers", MLB.com, May 11, 2012