Ladson, South Carolina
|Ladson, South Carolina|
Location of Ladson, South Carolina
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|Counties||Berkeley, Charleston, Dorchester|
|• Total||7.0 sq mi (18.2 km2)|
|• Land||7.0 sq mi (18.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||49 ft (15 m)|
|• Density||1,963/sq mi (758.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1246274|
Ladson is located in southwestern Berkeley County, northern Charleston County, and southeastern Dorchester County at Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found. (33.009563, -80.105553). It is bordered to the southwest by the town of Summerville, to the south by the city of North Charleston, to the east by the city of Goose Creek, and to the northwest by Sangaree, a census-designated place.
U.S. Route 78 and Interstate 26 run parallel through Ladson, with Exit 203 providing access from I-26. Downtown Charleston is 20 miles (32 km) to the southeast, and Columbia is 97 miles (156 km) to the northwest.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 7.0 square miles (18.2 km2), all land. This is a decrease from 8.6 square miles (22.3 km2) at the 2000 census, due to annexations of portions of the area into Summerville and North Charleston.
As of the census of 2000, there were 13,264 people, 4,571 households, and 3,560 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 1,540.9 people per square mile (594.8/km²). There were 4,863 housing units at an average density of 564.9 per square mile (218.1/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 71.70% White, 22.06% African American, 0.97% Native American, 2.04% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, 1.30% from other races, and 1.86% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.97% of the population.
There were 4,571 households out of which 44.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.4% were married couples living together, 15.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 22.1% were non-families. 15.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.90 and the average family size was 3.22.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 30% under the age of 18, 9.7% from 18 to 24, 33.7% from 25 to 44, 20.7% from 45 to 64, and 4.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 99.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.4 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $41,589, and the median income for a family was $44,726. Males had a median income of $31,290 versus $23,524 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $16,482. About 7.1% of families and 9.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.5% of those under age 18 and 9.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Rick Brewer, president of Louisiana College in Pineville, Louisiana; former Ladson resident
- Andrew Johnson, USAF C-17 Globemaster III pilot and air medal recipient; current Ladson resident
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Ladson CDP, South Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 7, 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Richard B. Brewer". intelius.com. Retrieved July 23, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>