Faust in 2014 with Super Best Friends Forever figures
July 25, 1974 |
|Alma mater||California Institute of the Arts|
|Known for||My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
The Powerpuff Girls
|Spouse(s)||Craig McCracken (2004-present)|
Lauren Faust (born July 25, 1974) is an American Emmy-Award-winning animator, writer, director, and producer, best known for developing Hasbro's animated television series My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, as well as working frequently with her husband Craig McCracken.
Faust attended the California Institute of Arts from 1992 to 1994, working as a layout artist at Rough Draft Studios. She then worked as an animator at Turner Feature Animation for two years and then as an animator for Warner Bros. Feature Animation for two years. Faust started working at Cartoon Network Studios in 1999. She worked as a storyboard artist and writer at Cartoon Network Studios for four years and then as a supervising producer and story supervisor.
Faust's early career focused on animated feature films, working on Cats Don't Dance, Quest for Camelot, and The Iron Giant as an animator. She shifted to television animation in the 2000s, working on The Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Super Best Friends Forever, and Wander Over Yonder. She is also the creator and developer of the toy line Milky Way and the Galaxy Girls.
Sony Pictures Animation announced in June 2014 that Faust would direct an animated comedy feature film titled Medusa, created by Todd Alcott and Holly Golden. The film tells a new story about the character from Greek mythology, in which a young lady named Medusa sets out on a quest to revert the curse she earned from a jealous goddess. In November 2015, Faust announced that she was no longer involved with the project or with Sony.
Faust worked with Hasbro to develop the company's My Little Pony property, resulting in the series My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. The series proved to be a major success not only with the primary young female audience, but also significantly among adult and teen males and females who became popularly known as "bronies".
In 2004, Faust was nominated for an Emmy Award. In 2005, she was nominated for an Annie Award. In 2009, she shared a Primetime Emmy for the Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends special, "Destination: Imagination".
Faust is married to Craig McCracken, creator of The Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and Wander Over Yonder. They met while they were working on the third season of The Powerpuff Girls. Faust has worked with her husband on all of his shows. She is a feminist.
|1994||Home, Honey, I'm High||voice|
|1997||Cats Don't Dance||animator – "Sawyer"|
|1998||Quest for Camelot||animator – United States|
|1999||The Iron Giant||animator|
|2002||The Powerpuff Girls Movie||writer|
|2013||My Little Pony: Equestria Girls||received a credit in the film as "Series Developer"|
|2013||Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony||Executive Producer, herself|
|2014||My Little Pony: Equestria Girls - Rainbow Rocks||received a credit in the film as "Series Developer"|
|2015||My Little Pony: Equestria Girls – Friendship Games||received a credit in the film as "Series Developer"|
|1995||The Maxx||character layout artist|
|2001||Codename: Kids Next Door||walk cycles
Episode: No P in the OOL
|2001–2005||The Powerpuff Girls||storyboard artist, writer, director, supervising director|
|2004–2009||Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends||developer, supervising producer, writer, story, story supervisor, storyboard artist, character designer, animation director, story editor|
|2010–2011||My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic||creator, developed for television by
Season 1: executive producer, writer, character designer, creative director
Season 2: executive producer on The Return of Harmony, consulting producer
All episodes: received a "Developed for Television By" credit
|2012||Super Best Friends Forever||creator, director, writer, storyboard artist, producer|
|2013||Wander Over Yonder||developer, co-producer, story editor, writer, director, character designer|
|2017||Them's Fightin' Herds||Developer|
- Liz Ohanesian "Lauren Faust: Let's Hear It for the Girls", L.A. Weekly People 2012 issue, May 17, 2012
- Reber, Deborah (May 11, 2010). In Their Shoes: Extraordinary Women Describe Their Amazing Careers. Simon Pulse. pp. 234–6. ISBN 978-1-4391-0370-8. Retrieved May 18, 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "The World's Finest". Worldsfinestonline.com. Retrieved February 18, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>[dead link]
- Sony Pictures Animation (June 5, 2014). "Sony Pictures Animation Announces New Original Feature Project MEDUSA, With Emmy® Winner Lauren Faust To Direct" (Press release). PRNewswire. Retrieved June 5, 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Amidi, Amid (November 24, 2015). "Lauren Faust No Longer Directing 'Medusa' at Sony Pictures Animation (Exclusive)". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved November 24, 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Vara, Vauhini; Zimmerman, Ann (November 4, 2011). "Hey, Bro, That's My Little Pony! Guys' Interest Mounts in Girly TV Show". Wall Street Journal. Archived from the original on December 1, 2011. Retrieved November 4, 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Ostroff, Joshua (October 22, 2013). "People Are Kids, Too". The Grid TO. Retrieved September 25, 2014.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Lauren Faust, , Ms. Blog, December 24, 2010
- "Disney's 2012–13 TV Schedule Presented to Advertisers". Retrieved March 13, 2012.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Matulef, Jeffrey (2015-09-22). "My Little Pony: FiM creator launches brony fighting game crowdfunding campaign". Eurogamer. Retrieved 2015-09-22.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- ManeSix DevTeam, 2015
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lauren Faust.|