Lewis Campbell (classicist)
Lewis Campbell (//; 3 September 1830 – 25 October 1908) was a Scottish classical scholar.
Campbell was educated at Edinburgh Academy, the University of Glasgow, Trinity College, Oxford and Balliol College, Oxford. He was fellow and tutor of Queen's College, Oxford (1855–1858), vicar of Milford, Hampshire (1858–1863), and professor of Greek at the University of St Andrews (1863–1894). In 1894, he was elected an honorary fellow of Balliol College, Oxford. From 1894 to 1896 he gave the Gifford Lectures, which were published in 1898.
- Sophocles Greek text with English notes in two volumes (2nd ed., 1879)
- The Sophistes and Politicus of Plato Greek text with English notes (1867)
- The Theaetetus of Plato Greek text with English notes (2nd ed., 1883)
- Republic, the Greek text, in three volumes (with Benjamin Jowett, 1894)
- Life and Letters of Benjamin Jowett in two volumes (with Evelyn Abbott, 1897)
- Letters of B. Jowett (1899)
- Life of James Clerk Maxwell (with W Garnett, new ed., 1884)
- A Guide to Greek Tragedy for English Readers (1891)
- Religion in Greek Literature (1898) Gifford Lectures
- On the Nationalisation of the Old English Universities (1901)
- Verse translations of the plays of Aeschylus (1890)
- Sophocles (1896)
- Plato's Republic Oxford lectures (1902)
- Tragic Drama in Aeschylus, Sophocles and Shakespeare (1904)
- Paralipomena Sophoclea (1907).
Sir W.D. Ross had recognized the importance of stylometric methods in Plato chronology which Campbell had introduced in his editions of the Sophistes and Politicus of 1869. Recent scholars such as Charles H. Kahn and Diskin Clay, have each advanced the ordering and grouping of Plato's dialogues according to the same method.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Campbell, Lewis". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Works written by or about Lewis Campbell at Wikisource
- Lewis Campbell biographical notes and Lectures available from the Gifford Lectures website
- Works by Lewis Campbell at Project Gutenberg
- Works by Lewis Campbell at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)
|This biography of a Scottish academic is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|
|This biography about a translator from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|