List of crab dishes
This is a list of crab dishes. Crabs live in all the world's oceans, in fresh water, and on land, are generally covered with a thick exoskeleton and have a single pair of claws. Crab meat is the meat found within a crab. It is used in many cuisines across the world.
- Bisque (food) – a smooth, creamy, highly seasoned soup of French origin, classically based on a strained broth (coulis) of crustaceans. It can be made from lobster, crab, shrimp or crayfish.
- Black pepper crab – one of the two most popular ways that crab is served in Singapore. It is made with hard-shell crabs, and fried with black pepper. Unlike the other popular chilli crab dish, it is less heavy due to the absence of a sauce.
- Bún riêu – Bún riêu cua is served with tomato broth and topped with crab or shrimp paste.
- Chilli crab – a seafood dish popular in Singapore. Mud crabs are commonly used and are stir-fried in a semi-thick, sweet and savory tomato and chilli based sauce.
- Corn crab soup – a dish found in Chinese cuisine, American Chinese cuisine, and Canadian Chinese cuisine, it is actually cream of corn soup with egg white and crab meat or imitation crab meat added.
- Crab cake – a variety of fishcake which is popular in the United States composed of crab meat and various other ingredients, such as bread crumbs, milk, mayonnaise, eggs, yellow onions, and seasonings.
- Crab dip – typically prepared with cream cheese and lump crab meat.
- Crab ice cream – a Japanese creation, it is described as having a sweet taste. The island of Hokkaido, Japan, is known for manufacturing crab ice cream.
- Crab in oyster sauce – a Chinese seafood dish of crab served in savoury oyster sauce. It is a popular dish in Asia, that can be found from China, Singapore, Indonesia to the Philippines.
- Crab in Padang sauce or Padang crab (Indonesian: Kepiting saus Padang) – an Indonesian seafood dish of crab served in hot and spicy Padang sauce. It is a popular dish in Indonesia.
- Crab rangoon – deep-fried dumpling appetizers served in American Chinese and, more recently, Thai restaurants, stuffed with a combination of cream cheese, lightly flaked crab meat (more commonly, canned crab meat or imitation crab meat), with scallions, and/or garlic.
- Deviled crab – a crab meat croquette. The crab meat is slowly sauteed with seasonings, breaded (traditionally with stale Cuban bread), rolled into the approximate shape of a rugby football or a small potato, and deep fried.
- Gejang – a variety of jeotgal, salted fermented seafood in Korean cuisine, which is made by marinating fresh raw crabs either in ganjang (soy sauce) or in a sauce based on chili pepper powder.
- Njandu roast - Kerala style crab roast.
- Pastel de jaiba - Chilean crab (jaiba in local Spanish) pie.
- She-crab soup- a rich soup, similar to bisque, made of milk or heavy cream, crab or fish stock, Atlantic blue crab meat, and (traditionally) crab roe, and a small amount of dry sherry.
- Soft-shell crab – a culinary term for crabs which have recently molted their old exoskeleton and are still soft.
- West Indies salad – a variation of crab meat ceviche that originated in the Mobile, Alabama area and is still a regional seafood delicacy enjoyed today.
- Derbyshire, David (June 11, 2001). "Crab ice cream is simply a matter of taste". The Telegraph. Retrieved 6 April 2014.
- McCullough, Fran (2003). The Good Fat Cookbook. Simon and Schuster. pp. 120–. ISBN 9780743238588.
- Wilson, Lindsay Cameron (2005). Ice Cream!: Delicious Ice Creams for All Occasions. New Holland Publishers. pp. 6–. ISBN 9781843309796.
- Manny Montala (5 January 2014). "Crabs in Oyster Sauce". Panlasang Pinoy. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- Ita (4 April 2011). "Kepiting Saos Padang Pak Moel, Mantap!" (in Indonesian). Kompas.com. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- Deviled Crab Rolls Recipe
- La cocina del omega 3 en Chile. Dieta mediterránea para comer bien y vivir mejor. RIL Editores. pp. 45–. GGKEY:ZDWYDCC2XYH.
- Levitas, Gloria (June 27, 1982). "She-Crab Soup: Southern Tradition", New York Times. Retrieved November 1, 2015.
- Scott Hurst, Andrea. "She-Crab Soup", Southern Living. Retrieved November 1, 2015.
- "She-Crab Soup Recipe and History", What's Cooking America. Retrieved November 1, 2015.
- CiCi Williamson, Garry Pound & Willard Scott (2008). "Shellfish and fish". The Best of Virginia Farms Cookbook and Tour Book: Recipes, People, Places. Menasha Ridge Press. pp. 60–87. ISBN 978-0-89732-657-5.
- Stern, Jane; Stern, Michael (2009). 500 Things to Eat Before It's Too Late: And the Very Best Places to Eat Them. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. pp. 208–210. ISBN 0547059078.
- The Ultimate Ladies' Lunch Recipe: West Indies Salad | The Kitchn