This is a list of destroyers of the United States Navy, sorted by hull number. It includes all of the series DD, DL, DDG, DLG, and DLGN.
CG-47 Ticonderoga and CG-48 Yorktown were approved as destroyers (DDG-47 and DDG-48) and redesignated cruisers before being laid down; it is uncertain whether CG-49 Vincennes and CG-50 Valley Forge were ever authorized as destroyers by the United States Congress (though the fact that the DDG sequence resumes with DDG-51 Arleigh Burke argues that they were).
See also List of destroyer classes of the United States Navy. For destroyer escorts, see List of destroyer escorts of the United States Navy, and for destroyer minelayers, see List of mine warfare vessels of the United States Navy.
By hull number
DD-1 to DD-444
USS Reuben James
DD-445 to DD-997
USS Stephen Potter
USS Charles Ausburne
- DD-993 was ordered by the Imperial Iranian Navy as Kourosh; completed as (DDG-993) Kidd
- DD-994 was ordered by the Imperial Iranian Navy as Daryush; completed as (DDG-994) Callaghan
- DD-995 was ordered by the Imperial Iranian Navy as Ardeshir; cancelled 1976
- DD-996 was ordered by the Imperial Iranian Navy as Nader; completed as (DDG-995) Scott
- DD-997 was ordered by the Imperial Iranian Navy as Shapour; cancelled 1976 and number reassigned
- (DD-997) Hayler
- DD-998 was ordered by the Imperial Iranian Navy as Anoushervan; completed as (DDG-996) Chandler
The DLG sequence was deactivated in the 1975 fleet realignment. DL-1 through DL-5 had been decommissioned prior to this time; DLG-6 Farragut through DLG-15 Preble became DDG-37 through DDG-46. DLG-16 Leahy through DLGN-40 Mississippi became CG-16 through CGN-40.
(CGN-41 Arkansas was authorized after the 1975 fleet reorganization and was never designated with or carried the hull classification symbol DLGN)
Guided Missile Destroyers
The guided missile destroyer sequence has three irregularities: four DDGs are numbered as if they were Destroyers in the main sequence (DDG-993, -994, -995 and -996), two were redesignated as guided missile cruisers (CG) (DDG-47 and DDG-48), and two numbers were skipped (DDG-49 and DDG-50). The Zumwalt class picks up at DDG-1000.