List of transgender-related topics
|Part of a series on|
|History of cross-dressing|
|Modern drag culture|
|Passing as male|
|Passing as female|
The term transgender is multi-faceted and complex, especially where consensual and precise definitions have not yet been reached. While often the best way to find out how people identify themselves is to ask them, not all persons who might be thought of as falling under the transgender 'umbrella' identify as such.
Books and articles written about transgender people or culture are often outdated by the time they are published, if not already outdated at the time of composition, due to inappropriate and/or outdated questions or premises. Psychology, medicine, and social sciences research, aid, or otherwise interact with or study about transgender people. Each field starts from a different point of view, offers different perspectives, and uses different nomenclature. This difference is mirrored by the attitude of transgender people as regards transgender issues, which can be seen in the articles listed below.
- 1 People and behaviour
- 2 Basic terms
- 3 Topics related to transitioning
- 4 Medicine
- 5 Sexual diversity studies
- 6 Media
- 7 Transgender in sports
- 8 Miscellaneous
- 9 Gender-variant people or behaviour
People and behaviour
- Gender neutrality
- Packing (phallus)
- Third gender
- Transvestic fetishism
- Transsexual pornography
In non-Western cultures
- Acault (Burma)
- Akava'ine (Cook Islands)
- Bacchá (Central Asia)
- Evening people (India)
- Fakaleiti (Tonga)
- Fa'afafine (Samoa)
- Femminiello (Neapolitan)
- Galli (ancient Rome)
- Transsexuality in Iran
- Kathoey (Thailand)
- Khanith (Arabia)
- Köçek (Turkey)
- Mahu wahine (Hawaii)
- Meinmasha (Burma)
- Meti (Nepal)
- Maknyah (Malaysia)
- Muxe (Mexico)
- Newhalf ("ニューハーフ") (Japan)
- Transgender in China
- Transgender people in Singapore
- Transpinay (Philippines)
- Tom-Dee identity (Thailand)
- Sworn virgin (Balkan)
- Takatāpui (Maori)
- Two-Spirit/"Berdache" (North America)
- Waria (Indonesia)
- Gender binary
- Gender blind
- Gender identity
- Gender role
- Third gender
- Sexual characteristics
- Sex-determination system
Sexual orientation and behaviour
Sexual orientation and behaviour are independent from gender identity; since both are often mentioned together or even confused, some relevant topics are mentioned here. The first article elaborates on this question.
- Sexuality and gender identity-based cultures also contains a section on transgender
- Sexual identity
- Non-binary discrimination
- Transgender Day of Remembrance
- Transgenderism (social movement)
- Trans bashing
- Simulated pregnancy - male crossdressing or roleplaying of a fake pregnancy.
- Passing (gender)
- The Closet
- Coming out
- Transsexual sexuality
Relating to medical treatment
- Standards of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming People
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (formerly known as the Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association)
- Causes of transsexualism
- Gender reassignment therapy (compare also Sex change)
- Hormone replacement therapy (trans)
- Sex reassignment surgery
- Legal aspects of transsexualism
- List of transgender-rights organizations
- The Yogyakarta Principles
- Gender dysphoria also called "Gender identity disorder"
- Gender identity disorder in children
- Sexual relationship disorder
- Sexual maturation disorder
- Ego-dystonic sexual orientation
- Body integrity identity disorder
Sexual diversity studies
- Anima (Jung)
- Feminine essence theory of transsexuality
- Feminist views on transgenderism and transsexualism
- Gender studies
- Queer studies
- Queer theory
Film and television
- Transgender in film and television
- Category:Transgender and transsexual actors
- Cross-dressing in film and television
Transgender art and artists include:
- New Media Art:
- Barbara Hammer – Lover Other
- Last Exit To Brooklyn by Hubert Selby, Jr. one of the stories revolve around a group of transvestites, led by a girl named Georgette.
- Masculinities Without Men? (ISBN 0-7748-0997-3) by Jean Bobby Noble
- Armistead Maupin's "Tales of the City" includes a transgender person as a central character.
- Luna (ISBN 0-316-73369-5) by Julie Anne Peters
- Whipping Girl by Julia Serano
Transgender in sports
- Compton's Cafeteria riot
- History of transgender people in the United States
- Homelessness among LGBT Youth in the United States
- List of unlawfully killed transgender people
- Right to change legal names female to male and vice versa in Ecuador
- Stonewall riots
- Transgender flags
- Violence against LGBT people
Gender-variant people or behaviour
Many other terms describe gender-variant people or behaviour, without the people being described necessarily being transgender:
- Ardhanarishvara, the androgynous aspect of Shiva and Parvati in Hinduism.
- Aravani or Hijra, transgender devotees of several religious cults in Hinduism.
- The cult of Aphroditus, the androgynous Amathusian Aphrodite in Greek mythology.
- Galli, the transgender priests of the Phrygian goddess Cybele and her consort Attis.
- The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, a group of (mostly) gay male nuns who take vows to promulgate universal joy and expiate stigmatic guilt.
- Skoptsy, religious sect in early 20th Century imperial Russia that practiced castration and mastectomies.
- "Ryan Cassata – the Artist and Activist | Ryancassata.com".
- "Between the Lines". sosdg.org. Retrieved 14 June 2015.