|Owner:||Mare Shipping Inc.|
|Port of registry:||Nassau, Bahamas|
|Route:||Riga - Gibraltar - Singapore|
|Builder:||Hitachi Shipbuilding and Engineering Co.|
|Fate:||Sunk, 19 November 2002|
|Class & type:||Aframax single-hulled oil tanker|
|Tonnage:||42,820 tonnes (42,140 long tons; 47,200 short tons)[clarification needed]|
|Length:||243 m (797 ft)|
|Beam:||34.4 m (113 ft)|
|Draft:||14 m (46 ft)|
|Depth:||18.7 m (61 ft)|
|Speed:||15.4 knots (28.5 km/h; 17.7 mph)|
MV Prestige was a Liberian-owned oil tanker, operating under a Bahamian flag, that on 19 November 2002 sank off the coast of Galicia, Spain. The sinking caused a major environmental disaster, polluting thousands of miles of coastline with 50,000 tonnes of oil.
Design and construction
Prestige was a single-hulled oil tanker with a length overall of 243 metres (797 ft), a beam of 34.4 metres (113 ft), a hull depth of 18.7 metres (61 ft), and a draft of 14 metres (46 ft). It had a 42,820 gross tonnage (GT) and a total cargo capacity of 81,589 tonnes deadweight (DWT). Vessels of this size are classified as Aframax-class tankers.
- Owner: Mare Shipping Inc., Liberia
- Cargo Owner: Crown Resources, Switzerland
- P&I Coverage: London Steamship Owners Insurance
- "Case Study XII: Prestige" (PDF). Ship Structure Committee: 8.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Spain Prestige oil spill disaster case in court". BBC News. 16 October 2012. Retrieved 2016-02-04.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Prestige at the Ministry of the Sea (Xunta de Galicia)
- The Prestige: one year on, a continuing disaster a report by the World Wide Fund for Nature
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.