Margaret Graham, Countess of Menteith
|Countess of Menteith|
|Spouse(s)||Sir John Moray, Lord of Bothwell
Thomas, 9th Earl of Mar
Sir Malcolm Drummond
Robert Stewart, Duke of Albany
John Drummond; Janet, Mary, Margaret, Joan, Beatrice, Isabella, Marjorie, and Murdoch Stewart
Doune Castle, Perthshire, Scotland
|Died||4 May 1380
Margaret Graham, Countess of Menteith (1334–1380) was a Scottish noblewoman. She married four times, becoming Countess of Menteith (inherited from her mother) and, in 1361, Duchess of Albany. Her fourth and last husband was Robert Stewart, Duke of Albany, who became Regent of Scotland from 1406 until his death in 1420. Her son Murdoch Stewart became the second Duke of Albany, but was executed for treason by King James I of Scotland in 1425.
Margaret Graham was the only daughter of Sir John Graham and Mary II, Countess of Menteith. She was born in Perthshire, Scotland. Margaret's grandfather served as second-in-command to Sir William Wallace, fighting alongside Wallace during the Scottish Wars of Independence. He was killed at the disastrous Battle of Falkirk on 22 July 1298, when the Scottish army was routed by Edward I of England.
Sir John was buried in Falkirk Old Parish Church. The inscription reads:
Here lyes Sir John the Grame, baith wight and wise,
Ane of the chiefs who rescewit Scotland thrise,
Ane better knight not to the world was lent,
Nor was gude Graham of truth and hardiment 
She was married four times. First, to Sir John Moray, Lord of Bothwell (son of Sir Andrew Moray and Lady Christina Bruce); no issue. Then she was married to Thomas, 9th Earl of Mar, but they were divorced circa 1359; no issue. Thirdly, she was married to Sir Malcolm Drummond and they had a son, Sir John Drummond.
Duchess of Albany
Her last marriage in 1361 was to Robert Stewart, 1st Duke of Albany (son of King Robert II of Scotland and Elizabeth Mure of Rowallan). Robert Stewart was a member of the Scottish Royal House and later served as regent to three different Scottish monarchs.
The Duke and Duchess of Albany had eight children:
- Lady Janet Stewart
- Lady Mary Stewart (married to Sir William Abernathy, 6th of Saltoun)
- Lady Margaret Stewart (married to Sir John Swinton, 14th of that Ilk)
- Lady Joan Stewart (married Sir Robert Stewart, 1st Lord of Lorn, and had descendants)
- Lady Beatrice Stewart (married to James Douglas, 7th Earl of Douglas)
- Lady Isobel Stewart (married firstly Alexander Leslie, 7th Earl of Ross, and secondly to Walter Haliburton, 1st Lord Dirleton, and had descendants.
- Lady Marjorie Stewart (married Duncan Campbell, 1st Lord Campbell, and had descendants)
- Murdoch Stewart, 2nd Duke of Albany (married to Joan Douglas and later to Isabella, Countess of Lennox).
- Margaret Countess of Menteith at www.thepeerage.com Retrieved January 2011
- Margaret Countess of Menteith at www.geni.com Retrieved January 2011
- Margaret Countess of Menteith at the National Archive wiki pages Retrieved January 2011
- "Falkirk". Statistical Account of Scotland. 19. 1791–1799. p. 100.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- The Complete Peerage Vol.3 Page 667