|Industry||Electrical Components, Transportation Equipment, Services Construction & Industrial Components, Retail Solutions|
|Founded||United States (1953 , as Colson Corporation)|
|Headquarters||181 West Madison Street
|Frank Ptak (CEO)|
Number of employees
|more than 20,000 people |
Marmon Group owns companies that produce electrical components, industrial components and transportation equipment, and provide services including construction and retail solutions. Tank cars are a significant part of its business, sold through its subsidiaries Union Tank Car Company in the United States and Procor in Canada. Berkshire Hathaway which acquired controlling interest in Marmon in 2007, owns the 2nd largest freight railroad carrier, BNSF Railway, in North America.
In 1953 Jay Pritzker and Robert Pritzker acquired Colson Corporation. The name of the company was changed to Marmon Group in 1964 after the acquisition of Marmon-Herrington. Major acquisitions by Marmon Group included Cerro Corporation in 1976 and TransUnion in 1981. In 2007 the Pritzker family sold a 60 percent interest in Marmon Group to Berkshire Hathaway with plans by Warren Buffett's Berkshire to acquire the remaining 40% over the course of the next 5 or 6 years.
- Union Tank Car Company
- Hendrix Wire and Cable, Inc.
- Cerro Wire & Cable Co, Inc.
- Harbour Industries, Inc.
- Rockbestos-Surprenant Cable Corp.
- Aetna Insulated Wire Co.
- Owl Wire & Cable, Inc.
- The Kerite Company
- Marmon Highway Technologies
- Railserve Inc.
- Nylok Corp.
- Marmon Group:About Us
- Marmon Group:History
- Bajaj, Vikas (December 26, 2007). "Rapidly, Buffett Secures a Deal for $4.5 Billion". New York Times. Retrieved July 21, 2009.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
|This United States manufacturing company–related article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|