Le Miroir aux oiseaux (Mirror Bird) area
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|Canton||Martigues-Est and Martigues-Ouest|
|Intercommunality||Ouest de l'Étang de Berre|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Gaby Charroux|
|Area1||71.44 km2 (27.58 sq mi)|
|• Density||650/km2 (1,700/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||13056 / 13500|
|Elevation||0–187 m (0–614 ft)
(avg. 1 m or 3.3 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries. 2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
Martigues (Occitan: Lo Martegue in classical norm, Lou Martegue in Mistralian norm) is a commune northwest of Marseille. It is part of the Bouches-du-Rhône department in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region on the eastern end of the Canal de Caronte.
A direct translation from the Martigues Tourisme Website reveals the following about Martigues:
- Nicknamed the "Provençale Venice", Martigues is a point of passage between the Mediterranean Sea and the Sea of Martigues (now Etang de Berre), close to the Côte d'Azur. The charm of its canals, its docks and bridges made it "The Venice of Provence". Martigues possesses also its cooperative winery "La Venise provençale": Coteaux d'Aix en Provence, rosé, red and white wines, fruit juices and natural oils in the region. Main varietals: Grenache, Syrah, Cinsault, Carignan, Clairette.
Gaby Charroux, deputy Mayor of the City of Martigues was born June 25, 1942 in Alger. On 29 May 2009 he succeeded Paul Lombard, Mayor resigned, and has since committed to continue the work for the future of Martigues. For him, being elected is "work, work, again and again" in order to improve the lives of the governed and to serve the general interest.
The Gare de Martigues railway station is served by regional trains between Miramas and Marseille.
- Gerard Thom (Frère Gérard), founder of the Knights Hospitaller
- Etienne Auteman / Authement, City Attorney 1700
- Étienne Richaud (1841-1889), Principal private secretary (Gambetta's Ministry), Governor of La Réunion, Governor General for Inde française
- Charles Maurras (1868-1952), poet and political theorist
- Nadjim Abdou, footballer
- Ali Ahamada, footballer
- Maurice Dalé, footballer
- Rod Fanni, footballer
- Foued Kadir, footballer
- André-Pierre Gignac footballer
- Amor Kehiha, footballer
- Imany, singer
- Giacomo and Gilles Coustellier, both multiple mountainbike trials world champions
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Martigues.|
|This Bouches-du-Rhône geographical article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|