This article may be in need of reorganization to comply with Wikipedia's layout guidelines. (May 2014)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|District of Uttar Pradesh|
Location of Mau district in Uttar Pradesh
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Ghosi|
|• Assembly seats||Ghosi Madhuban Rasara Mau Sadar Mohammadaba Gohana|
|• Total||1,713 km2 (661 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,300/km2 (3,300/sq mi)|
|• Literacy||75.16 per cent|
|• Sex ratio||978|
Mau is one of the districts of Uttar Pradesh state of India and Mau town is the district headquarters. Mau district is a part of Azamgarh Division. It is situated in the south-eastern part of the state with headquarters at Maunath Bhanjan town. The district is surrounded by Ghazipur district on the south, Ballia district in the east and Azamgarh district in the west and north side surrounded by Gorakhpur. Varanasi touches some area in south side. The river Ghaghra forms its northern boundary and south boundary touches Tamsa river.
- District Magistrate - Mr. Chandra Kant Pandey
- Superintendent Of Police - Mr. Dinesh Chand Dubey.
- Chairman, District Council - Mr. Sunil Singh Chauhan
In sports Mau has a tremendous history:
- Bhim Narayan Rai of village Revaridih -Sahroj, National Champion and Record Holder in javelin Throw in National Games 1961 and broken the Asian Games record there. He has also broken a record in Indian School Games -1960. He has been awarded Outstanding performer in 1964 U.P. Athletic meet, he has got the UP state Track & Field championship 1961 to 1965 of UP
- Long racer Bahadur Prasad participated in several Asian Games
- Eminent Wrestler Kisore Pahlwan of Village Basiharam
- Sprinter Ram das Sahani of Village Amila
- TezBahadur Singh (UP Kesari) of village Sarwan Ranbirpur
- Tridip Rai International Basket Ball player of village Kasara
- Kamran Khan IPL Cricket player of village Nadwa Sarai.
In politics there were many politicians like Jharkande Rai and Kalpanath Rai were well-known faces of politics Mau is also the land of mafia turned politician Mukhtar Ansari. In literature also, Mau has given many great writers and poet such as:
- Laxmi Narayan Mishra (1903–1987) was born in the village Basti, district Mau. He was a popular play writer of HINDI. He was a theatre personality of Uttar Pradesh. His works became very popular between the 1930 and 1950. They were frequently staged by schools, colleges, and amateur groups. Laxmi Narayan Mishra is considered the founder of the problem play in Hindi theatre.
- Fiza Ibn-e-Faizi (1923–2009) was a modern Urdu and Persian poet. He was a native of Mau district of Uttar Pradesh and was considered a 'qadir-ul-kalaam' poet and had received numerous awards within the Urdu world. At least, six poetry collections of Faizi had been published and acclaimed. In 2009, a memorial named as Faizi Gate was constructed by the then municipal head near his house.
- Maulana Habibur Rahman Azmi (1900–1992) was a well-known Islamic Scholar, belonged to this city. He wrote under pen name of Abul Ma'sir. His works on Islamic Jurisprudence is well acclaimed. He remains a well-known figure in major Islamic seminaries like Medina University, Al-Azhar and Darul-uloom Deoband. His works are cited by Muslims across the world.
- Shyam Narayan Pandey (1907 - 1991) was a Hindi poet famous for his epic poem Haldighati, which is based on the Battle of Haldighati between Akbar and Maharana Pratap.
According to the 2011 census Mau Nath Bhanjan district has a population of 2,205,170, in which male and female were 1,114,888 and 1,090,282 respectively. In 2001 census, Mau had a population of 1,853,997, in which males were 933,523 and remaining 920,474 were females. roughly equal to the nation of Latvia or the US state of New Mexico. This gives it a ranking of 206th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population densitt of 1,287 inhabitants per square kilometre (3,330/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 18.94%. Mau has a sex ratio of 978 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 75.16%. There are many towns and bazars located in the districts like Kopaganj, Ghosi, Amila, Dohrighat, Mandi-Sipah Madhuban, Mohammadabd Gohana and Indara.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Latvia 2,204,708 July 2011 est.line feed character in
|quote=at position 7 (help)<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
New Mexico - 2,059,179<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
||Gorakhpur district||Deoria district|
|Azamgarh district||Ballia district|
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.
|30px||This Mau district location article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|