Max Azria at the Spring 2009 Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week
January 1, 1949 |
Hervé Léger by Max Azria
Miley Cyrus & Max Azria
Max Azria (born January 1, 1949) is a Tunisian fashion designer who founded the contemporary women's clothing brand BCBG Max Azria. Azria is also the designer, chairman and CEO of the BCBG Max Azria Group, a global fashion house that encompasses over 20 brands. He is based in Los Angeles.
Max Azria was born in Sfax, Tunisia as the youngest of six children to a Tunisian Jewish family. As a child, Max was educated in southeastern France before his family relocated to Paris, France in 1963.
BCBG Max Azria
In 1989, Azria launched BCBG Max Azria, named for the French phrase "bon chic, bon genre," a Parisian slang meaning "good style, good attitude". Azria was credited for offering designer fashion at affordable price points and, as a result, was inducted into the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) in 1998. The BCBG Max Azria Runway collection was first presented at New York Fashion Week in 1996.
Azria also maintains two eponymous designer collections, Max Azria Atelier and Max Azria. Launched in February 2004, Max Azria Atelier is a collection of couture gowns created for celebrity clients and red-carpet events. Sharon Stone, Halle Berry, Fergie and Alicia Keys have worn the label on the red carpet. In February 2006, Azria debuted Max Azria, a ready-to-wear collection with a directional aesthetic, on the runway at New York Fashion Week. During the 2009 awards season, Angelina Jolie wore Max Azria to the 2009 Screen Actors Guild Awards and the 2009 Critics Choice Awards. The company bought out the bankrupt G+G Retail, which operated the G+G and Rave brands, in 2006.
Azria acquired the Hervé Léger fashion house in 1998, marking the first time in history that an American designer had acquired a French couturier. In early 2007, Azria relaunched the Hervé Léger label with his own designs, which were quickly embraced by celebrities and trendsetters worldwide. Britney Spears, Beyoncé Knowles, Jennifer Lopez, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Kate Winslet are among the celebrities who have worn the label for red carpet events.
In Fall 2008, Max Azria presented BCBG Max Azria Runway, Max Azria and Hervé Léger by Max Azria at New York Fashion Week, marking the first time an American designer produced three major fashion shows during one New York Fashion Week.
Azria launched a young contemporary collection called BCBGeneration in 2008. In June 2009, Azria teamed up with Miley Cyrus to create a line for Walmart called Miley Cyrus & Max Azria. Azria also designed clothing for Cyrus' 2009 American tour.
BCBG Max Azria Group is a global fashion house with a portfolio including more than 20 brands. Max Azria is the CEO, chairman and head designer alongside his wife, Lubov Azria, who acts as chief creative officer.
As of 2006, there are over 550 BCBG Max Azria boutiques worldwide, including locations in London, Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong. Azria’s collections are also sold in specialty stores and major department stores across the globe, including Nordstrom, Saks Fifth Avenue, Bergdorf Goodman, Lord & Taylor, Bloomingdale's, Macy’s, the UK’s Harvey Nichols, Hong Kong’s Lane Crawford, Taiwan’s Mitsukoshi and Singapore’s Takashimaya stores.
BCBG Max Azria Group campaigns regularly feature notable models, including Eva Herzigova, Karen Elson and Jessica Stam. The company frequently works with internationally renowned photographers such as Patrick Demarchelier, Paolo Roversi and David Sims. BCBG Max Azria Group clothing are frequently featured in major fashion publications such as Vogue, InStyle and Vanity Fair, and in online sites such as Style.com and iFashion Network
Awards and honors
Azria has received many awards throughout his career, including the California Designer of the Year (1995), Atlanta Designer of the Year (1996), The Fashion Performance Award (1997), The Otis Fashion Achievement Award (2000), Hollywood Life’s Breakthrough Award (2004) and The Dallas Fashion Award (2005). Azria also received the Wells Fargo Century Fashion Achievement Award at the 2007 L.A. Fashion Awards and the 2008 Fashion Excellence Award at the 33rd Annual Dallas Fashion Awards. He received the latter in recognition of the successful relaunch of his Hervé Léger brand.
Max Azria is married to Lubov Azria, chief creative officer for BCBG Max Azria Group. He has six children, including Joyce Azria, who was named creative director of BCBGeneration in 2009. He and his family reside in a house designed by Paul Williams in Holmby Hills, Los Angeles, California. It was formerly owned by Sidney Sheldon (1917-2007).
- Mustafa, Nadia (Fall 2006). "Bon Business", Time Style & Design, 81.
- Edelson, Sharon (June 3, 2009). "Miley Cyrus, Max Azria Sign Deal To Launch Line", Women's Wear Daily, 12.
- Mustafa, Nadia (Fall 2006). "Bon Business", Time Style & Design, 82.
- Baker, Ashley (February 17, 2009). "Loving Max More Than Ever", The Daily, 20.
- ,Cfda.com, Retrieved on 2010-08-02.
- Rubenstein, Hal (May 2006). "The Look of Max Azria Atelier", InStyle, 152
- Souter, Ericka & Dowd, Kathy Ehrich (September 4, 2006). "Red Carpet Ready", People, 119.
- Souter, Ericka & Dowd, Kathy Ehrich (September 4, 2006). "Red Carpet Ready", People, 120.
- Decarlo, Lauren (February 2, 2006). "New Name for BCBG Max Azria Collection", Women's Wear Daily,14.
- ,usmagazine.com, Retrieved on 2009-06-03.
- Scharf, Lindzi.: instyle.com, Retrieved on 2009-06-03
- "BCBG Max Azria Group and Guggenheim Win G+G Bidding". PR Newswire. 15 February 2006. Retrieved 22 October 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Avens, Mimi.: , Latimes.com, Retrieved on 2010-08-02.
- ,InStyle.com, Retrieved on 2010-08-02.
- ,Dailymail.co.uk, Retrieved on 2010-08-02.
- Wilcox, Debra.: , DailyMail.co.uk, Retrieved on 2009-06-03.
- Garrett, Chanteau.: , Teenchicmag.com, Retrieved on 2010-08-02.
- Medina, Marcy (January 7, 2008). "BCBG Merges Two Lines to Form BCBGeneration", Women's Wear Daily, 12.
- , Designscene.net, Retrieved on 2010-08-02.
- , Designscene.net, Retrieved on 2010-08-02.
- , Nymag.com, Retrieved on 2010-08-02.
- , Showstudio.com, Retrieved on 2010-08-02.
- , Bcbgmaxazriagroup.com, Retrieved on 2009-12-08.
- Medina, Marcy (November 1, 2007). "L.A. Fashion Awards Honors Winners", Women's Wear Daily, 14.
- Haber, Holly (October 31, 2008). "Azria Honored at Dallas Fashion Awards", Women's Wear Daily, 11.
- Zelevansky, Nora (August 2007). "Lubov Azria; On Schedule", C Magazine,30.
- ,Wwd.com, Retrieved on 2010-07-27.
- Heyman, Marshall.: harpersbazaar.com, Retrieved on 2010-07-27
- Christina Binkley, Max Azria Faces Losing Control, The Wall Street Journal, August 28, 2013