|Date||1st Sunday in March|
|Distance||Marathon, Half Marathon, Fun Run|
The Meadows Marathon is a non-profit annual charity Marathon, Half Marathon and five km fun run. It takes place annually in The Meadows in Edinburgh on the first Sunday in March. It is the largest event organised by Edinburgh Students' Charities Appeal.
The Meadows Marathon was created in 2007 by two students at the University of Edinburgh. Raising £10,000 in its inaugural year from 250 runners, the last event raised over £35,000 from 850 runners. In past years, only a half marathon and fun run have been offered, however in 2012 this was extended to include a full marathon. Although completely organised by students at university in Edinburgh, the event draws participants from a variety of backgrounds. Anyone can compete in the event.
The Meadows Marathon is unusual in that the course takes the form of several laps rather than a linear format. The course has varied from year to year, but generally comprises eight laps of the Meadows in central Edinburgh. The laps allow for the regular use of a single water station, as well as the provision of entertainment from university societies. In recent years, the course has also run through Bristo Square and George Square.
The marathon is also a notably famous event for local wedding proposals.
The goal of the Meadows Marathon is to maximise the money raised by runners, rather than maximise money raised by runner registrations. To this end, the Meadows Marathon has dedicated staff to help runners raise sponsorship money, and promotes a range of charities on a local, national, and international scale.
- "Meadows Marathon Home Page".<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Event History".<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Course Map".<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Running For Charity".<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Meadows Marathon - Event Website
- Edinburgh Students' Charities Appeal - Edinburgh Students' Charities Appeal
- Friends of The Meadows and Bruntsfield Links (contains Java applet)