|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|Historical region||Oltenia, Banat|
|• Total||4,933 km2 (1,905 sq mi)|
|• Density||52/km2 (130/sq mi)|
|Telephone code||(+40) 252 or (+40) 352|
|ISO 3166 code||RO-MH|
Mehedinți (Romanian pronunciation: [meheˈdint͡sʲ] ( listen)) is a county (județ) of Romania on border with Serbia and Bulgaria. It is mostly located in the historical province of Oltenia, with one municipality (Orșova) and three communes (Dubova, Eșelnița and Svinița) located in the Banat. The county seat is Drobeta-Turnu Severin.
In 2011, it had a population of 254,570 and the population density was 51.6/km².
This county has a total area of 4,933 km².
The heights decrease towards the East, passing through the hills to a high plain - the Western end of the Romanian Plain.
In the South the Danube flows, forming a wide valley, with channels and ponds. Another important river is the Motru River in the East side, an affluent of the Jiu River. Also, in the West side there is the Cerna River forming a passage between the Oltenia region and the Banat region.
- Bulgaria in the South - Vidin Province.
- Serbia in the West and South-West - Bor District.
- Caraș-Severin County in the North-West.
- Gorj County in the North-East.
- Dolj County in the South-East.
The energetic sector is highly developed in the county, on the Danube being two big hydro electrical power plants (Iron Gates I and Iron Gates II). Also in NE of Drobeta-Turnu Severin there is a heavy water complex (Romag Prod).
The predominant industries in the county are:
- Chemical industry.
- Food and beverages industry.
- Textile industry.
- Mechanical components industry.
- Railway and ship equipment industry.
- Wood and paper industry.
The South is mainly agricultural, suited for growing cereals on large surfaces. Also vegetables are cultivated and there are important surfaces of wines and fruit orchards.
The main touristical destinations are:
- The city of Drobeta-Turnu Severin - the ruins of Trajan's first bridge over the Danube
- The city of Orșova.
- The Mehedinți Mountains.
- The Danube's Iron Gates.
- Baia de Aramă Monastery
Mehedinți County has 2 municipalities, 3 towns and 61 communes
- Burila Mare
- Gârla Mare
- Izvoru Bârzii
- Obârșia de Câmp
- Pădina Mare
- Poroina Mare
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mehedinți County.|
- The number used depends on the numbering system employed by the phone companies on the market.
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația după etnie"
- National Institute of Statistics, "Populația la recensămintele din anii 1948, 1956, 1966, 1977, 1992 și 2002"