|Part of a series on|
|Men's rights portal|
The term Meninism was first used in the early 2000s to describe men who opposed sexism and supported women's right for equality in society, politics and at work. By the next decade, the term was then used by users of social media to make jokes which mocked and criticised radical feminism.
The term has partially evolved into a movement promoting awareness of issues the movement perceives are affecting men, opposition to the perceived oppression men face in the 21st century, opposition to the way some perceive that men are victimised by modern-day feminism, and occasionally violence against men. Several women identify as meninists.
- Lower life expectancy.
- Military deaths.
- Violence and domestic violence.
- Disproportionate prison sentences for the same crime and injustices of divorce courts.
- Fathers' rights.
- Men's self defence
Victoria Richards of The Independent described it as "an attempt by some men to mock and undermine feminism". In response to Meninism, Shephali Bhatt of The Economic Times stated "Dear men, are you suffering as much as the womenfolk? Are you a minority? Are you oppressed? Wasn't this world designed by you and for your comfort? So then, you don't really have a strong case here". Siddharth Venkataramakrishnan of The Oxford Student claimed meninism is an euphemism for misogyny: "[Meninism is] misogyny by another name".
- "MENININST: MEN SUPPORTING THE WOMEN'S MOVEMENT". feminist.com. 8 February 2001. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- Kay, Tom Zatar (2003). Out if the Box. Bloomington, IN: Xlibris. p. 62. ISBN 1-4134-1757-4.
- Goldrick-Jones, Amanda (2002). Men who Believe in Feminism. Westport, CT: Praeger Publishers. p. 179. ISBN 0-275-96822-7.
- Zand, Benjamin (20 December 2013). "#BBCtrending: Feminism v Meninism". BBC News. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- Daubney, Martin (29 December 2014). "Will 2015 be the year of meninism?". The Telegraph. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- Gillett, George (1 October 2014). "Lads, It's Time for Some Meninism". Huffington Post. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- Feeney, Nolan (19 January 2015). "This Is What Happens When You Show Off Your 'Meninist' T-Shirt". TIME. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- James, Abigail (19 December 2014). "Feminism takes a sharp hit as men fight back with Meninism". Catholic Online. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- Lynch, Alison (25 June 2015). "Women disillusioned with feminism are turning to meninism". Metro. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- Sanghani, Radhika (1 February 2015). "Feminists v Meninists: The labels we could all afford to ditch". The Telegraph. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- Richards, Victoria (25 May 2015). "'Don't blame all men for rape' campaign backfires spectacularly". The Independent. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- Bhatt, Shephali (26 November 2014). "How meninism campaigns can explain gender inequality against men better". Economic Times. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- Venkataramakrishnan, Siddharth (3 January 2015). "Meninism isn't progressive – it’s misogyny by another name". The Oxford Student. Retrieved 22 October 2015.