Metro head office in Düsseldorf
|Traded as||FWB: MEO|
|Founded||1964; Metro AG formed in 1996|
|Europe, Asia, Africa|
|Products||Cash & Carry/warehouse club, department store, electronics specialty, hypermarket/supercenter/superstore, other specialty|
|Revenue||€66.739 billion (2012)|
|€2.113 billion (2012)|
|Profit||€741 million (2012)|
|Total assets||€34.766 billion (2012)|
|Total equity||€6.101 billion (2012)|
Number of employees
|Divisions||Metro Cash and Carry, Real, Media Markt & Saturn, Galeria Kaufhof|
Metro AG, otherwise known as Metro Group, is a German global diversified retail and wholesale/cash and carry group based in Düsseldorf. It has the largest market share in its home market, and is one of the most globalised retail and wholesale corporations. As of 2010[update], it was the fourth-largest retailer in the world measured by revenues (after Wal-Mart, Carrefour and Tesco). It was established in 1964 by founders Ernst Schmidt and Wilhelm Schmidt-Ruthenbeck (1906-1988). Otto Beisheim became CEO and Chairman of Metro.
The company operates the following sales divisions:
- Metro and Makro Cash and Carry (Makro stores in the United Kingdom and elsewhere in Europe were acquired from SHV Holdings in 1998): This division accounts for nearly half of group sales as of 2004, and is by far the most internationalised division, with stores in almost every country in which the group operates.
- Real: A hypermarket operator. 265 stores in Germany and 34 elsewhere as of early 2005.
- Media Markt and Saturn: Media Markt and Saturn are consumer electronics stores in Germany and several other European countries.
- Galeria Kaufhof: A department store chain with locations in Germany and Belgium ("Inno"). Sold to Hudson's Bay Company in 2015 for $3.2 billion U.S. dollars.
As of 2007 it has added the former Wal-Mart Germany stores to the Real chain.
As of 2012, the Metro Group operated stores in 25 European countries, 5 Asian countries, and 1 in Africa.
- "Annual Report 2011" (PDF). Metro AG. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 September 2014. Retrieved 20 October 2011.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>[self-published source]
- "Contact & Directions". Metro AG. Retrieved 15 June 2014.
Metro-Straße 1, 40235 Düsseldorf<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>[self-published source]
- Switching Channels: Global Powers of Retailing 2012 (Report). Delotte. January 2012. p. G11. Retrieved 15 June 2015.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Bright, Peter (2 August 2012). "Sources claim that German retailer Metro AG is unhappy with Redmond". Ars Technica.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Canada's Hudson's Bay Company and Metro Group Reach Agreement over Sale of Galeria Kaufhof". hbc.com.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
Media related to Metro Group at Wikimedia Commons