|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|Elevation||15 m (49 ft)|
|• Municipal unit||4,980|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Postal code||230 52|
Molaoi (Greek: Μολάοι) is a town and a former municipality in Laconia, Peloponnese, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it is part of the municipality Monemvasia, of which it is the seat and a municipal unit. The population in 2011 was 4,980, of which 2,534 lived in the town itself.
The name of the village derived from the Latin word Mola (mill). Mola was mentioned for first time in the Treaty of Sapienza (1209). The current name Molaoi was mentioned during 15th century. During late medieval and early Ottoman era, Molaoi remained a small village, overshadowed by nearby Monemvasia. Molaoi was destroyed during the Orlov Revolt. The village was destroyed again by Ibrahim in 1825, during the Greek War of Independence. After Greek independence was achieved, Molaoi increased its population, receiving residents from Monemvasia, Crete, the Mani peninsula and nearby villages. It then evolved into a local administrative centre.
- "Απογραφή Πληθυσμού - Κατοικιών 2011. ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Πληθυσμός" (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority. <templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Kallikratis law Greece Ministry of Interior (Greek)
- Μολάοι (in Greek). monemvasia.gov.gr. Retrieved 30 July 2014. <templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Νews from Molaoi (Greek)
- Molaoi.net - Information and Photos (Greek)
- Molaikos.gr - Local football team (Greek)
- APOEL-Molaoi.gr - Local sports club (Greek)
|This Peloponnese location article is a stub. You can help Infogalactic by expanding it.|