Moldavian Autonomous Oblast
The Moldavian Autonomous Oblast was created on 7 March 1924 within the Ukrainian SSR.
The oblast was created out of three okruhus of the Ukrainian SSR (Balta Okruha, Odessa Okruha of Odessa Governorate, and Tulchyn Okruha of Podolia Governorate). It was centered on Balta, which became its capital.
- Rîbniţa with 48,748 inhabitants, of which 25,387 Moldovans (52%)
- Dubăsari with 57,371 inhabitants, of which 33,600 Moldovans (58%)
- Tiraspol, entirely Moldovan
- Ananyiv with 45,545 inhabitants, of which 24,249 Moldovans (53%)
Notes and references
- Declaration of the All-Ukrainian Central Executive Committee and Council of People's Commissars of Ukrainian SSR "About liquidation of the Balta Okruha in Odessa Governorate and about transferring the city of Balta and part of the Balta Raion to the Autonomous Maoldavian SSR and about division of selected raions of the Balta Okruha" (ukr)
- Ion Nistor, Vechimea aşezărilor româneşti dincolo de Nistru, Monitorul Oficial şi Imprimeriile Statului, Imprimeria Naţională, Bucureşti, 1939, p.19, who cites Izvestia, 29 August 1924