Monroe Township, Knox County, Ohio
|Monroe Township, Ohio|
Location of Monroe Township in Knox County.
|Coordinates: Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|• Total||24.4 sq mi (63.1 km2)|
|• Land||24.4 sq mi (63.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,201 ft (366 m)|
|• Density||99.6/sq mi (38.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086407|
Located in the center of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Pike Township - north
- Brown Township - northeast corner
- Howard Township - east
- Harrison Township - southeast corner, east of College Township
- College Township - southeast, west of Harrison Township
- Pleasant Township - southwest, east of Clinton Township
- Clinton Township - southwest, west of Pleasant Township
- Morris Township - west
Name and history
By the 1830s, Monroe Township had a number of productive mills built along Schenck Creek.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Knox County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Norton, Anthony Banning (1862). A History of Knox County, Ohio, from 1779 to 1862 Inclusive: Comprising Biographical Sketches, Anecdotes and Incidents of Men Connected with the County from Its First Settlement. R. Nevins, printer. p. 316.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Graham, Albert Adams (1881). History of Knox County, Ohio: Its Past and Present, Containing a Condensed, Comprehensive History of Ohio. A. A. Graham & Company. p. 530.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 319. Retrieved 12 December 2013.<templatestyles src="Module:Citation/CS1/styles.css"></templatestyles>
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.