Motion JPEG 2000
|Internet media type||
|Magic number||12 byte string: X'0000 000C 6A50 2020 0D0A 870A'|
|Developed by||Joint Photographic Experts Group|
|Type of format||moving image|
|Container for||video, sound|
|Extended from||ISO base media file format|
|Extended to||Motion JPEG 2000 Simple Profile, Motion JPEG 2000 Motion Picture Archive Preservation Format Profile, Motion JPEG 2000 Motion Picture Archive Access Format Profile|
|Standard||ISO/IEC 15444-3:2007, ITU-T T.802|
|Website||"Part 3 - Motion JPEG 2000". jpeg.org. Archived from the original on April 4, 2014. Retrieved 22 June 2014.|
Motion JPEG 2000 (MJ2 or MJP2) is a file format for motion sequences of JPEG 2000 images and associated audio, based on the MP4/QuickTime format. Filename extensions for Motion JPEG 2000 video files are .mj2 and .mjp2, as defined in RFC 3745.
MJ2, first defined by Part 3 of the ISO Standard for JPEG 2000 ISO/IEC 15444 in November 2001 (ISO/IEC 15444-3:2002) as a standalone document, has later been defined by ISO/IEC 15444-3:2007, ISO/IEC 15444-3:2007/Amd 1:2010, additional profiles for archiving applications, and by ISO/IEC 15444-12 which defines the JPEG 2000 base media format, which contains the timing, structure, and media information for timed sequences of media data.
MPEG vs MJ2
Motion JPEG2000 was always intended to coexist with MPEG. Unlike MPEG, MJ2 does not implement inter-frame coding; each frame is coded independently using JPEG 2000. This makes MJ2 more resilient to propagation of errors over time, more scalable, and better suited to networked and point-to-point environments, with additional advantages over MPEG with respect to random frame access, but at the expense of increased storage and bandwidth requirements.
- digitalpreservation.gov Motion JPEG 2000 File Format Sustainability of Digital Formats - Planning for Library of Congress Collections
- "Motion JPEG 2000 Part 3". Joint Photographic Experts Group, JPEG, and Joint Bi-level Image experts Group, JBIG. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "T.802 : Information technology - JPEG 2000 image coding system: Motion JPEG 2000". January 2005. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- Hunter, Jill. "Digital cinema reels from motion JPEG2000 advances". EETimes. EETimes. Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- JPEG 2000 Official website, part 3 Motion JPEG 2000.
- Digital cinema reels from motion JPEG2000 advances
- OpenJPEG homepage open-source JPEG 2000 codec written in C, developed to promote the use of JPEG 2000.
- GitHub page for OpenJPEG
- Documentation for the Openjpeg Motion JPEG 2000 utilities.