In Canada, municipal districts are a type of rural municipality within the Province of Alberta governed by elected councils with the mandate to administer rural areas that can include farmlands, resource areas and unincorporated hamlets and rural residential subdivisions. Statistics Canada recognizes Alberta's 64 municipal districts as a type of census subdivision for statistical purposes. Statistics Canada also recognizes 12 municipal districts within Nova Scotia as census subdivisions. The City of Flin Flon in Manitoba also held a municipal district status between 1933 and 1946.
In the Dominican Republic, when a municipality consists of more than one urban center, those beside the municipalities seat can be elevated to the status of a municipal district (distrito municipal). A municipal council (Junta Municipal) for such a municipal district is nominated by the municipal council of the municipality to which it belongs (Ley 3455 Titulo I Capitulo IV).
Republic of Ireland
In Ireland, the Local Government Reform Act 2014 brought in a system of municipal districts for local government purposes from 1 June 2014 following local elections in May, replacing town and borough councils. The districts are second-tier units below counties, with the exception of the Dublin Region and Cork and Galway cities which retained their existing local government structures. The districts act as constituencies for county councils, with councillors being simultaneously elected to both bodies. Some municipal districts are titled "borough districts" (Clonmel, Drogheda, Sligo and Wexford) or "metropolitan districts" (Limerick and Waterford), though they have no additional powers.
In Russia, municipal districts are a form of local self-government, and one of the types of municipal formations. They are usually (but not always) formed within the borders of existing administrative districts.
- "Types of Municipalities in Alberta: Rural Municipal Governments (Municipal Districts)". Alberta Municipal Affairs. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "Interim List of Changes to Municipal Boundaries, Status, and Names: From January 2, 2012 to January 1, 2013" (PDF). Statistics Canada. p. 5. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "Manitoba Municipalities: Flin Flon". The Manitoba Historical Society. May 13, 2013. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- Congreso Nacional. "Ley No. 3455, Organización Municipal, del 18 de diciembre del 1952" (PDF) (in Spanish). Retrieved 2007-03-02.
- Department of Environment, Community and Local Government - Local Government Reform (2014)
- Local Government Reform Act 2014
- Государственная Дума Российской Федерации. Федеральный Закон №131-ФЗ от 06.10.2003 «Об общих принципах организации местного самоуправления в Российской Федерации», в ред. Федерального Закона №260-ФЗ от 08.11.2007. (State Duma of the Russian Federation. Federal Law #131-FZ of October 6, 2003 On General Principles of the Organization of Local Self-Government in the Russian Federation, as amended by the Federal Law #260-FZ of November 8, 2007. ).