My Hero Academia
|My Hero Academia|
|File:Boku no Hero Academia Volume 1.png
Cover of the first volume of My Hero Academia, featuring Izuku Midoriya and All Might
(Boku no Hīrō Akademia)
|Genre||Superhero, Science fantasy, Comedy-drama|
|Written by||Kōhei Horikoshi|
|Magazine||Weekly Shōnen Jump|
|Original run||July 7, 2014 – present|
|My Hero Academia Smash!!|
|Written by||Hirofumi Neda, Kohei Horikoshi|
|Magazine||Shōnen Jump +|
|Original run||November 9, 2015 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Kenji Nagasaki|
|Written by||Yōsuke Kuroda|
|Music by||Yuki Hayashi|
|Original run||April 3, 2016 – present|
|My Hero Academia: Battle for All|
|Developer||Bandai Namco Studios|
|Publisher||Bandai Namco Entertainment|
My Hero Academia (僕のヒーローアカデミア Boku no Hīrō Akademia?) is a Japanese super hero manga series written and illustrated by Kōhei Horikoshi. It has been serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump since July 2014, and 8 volumes have been collected in tankōbon format. The series has been licensed for English language release by Viz Media, and began serialization in their weekly digital manga anthology Weekly Shonen Jump on February 9, 2015. The story follows Izuku Midoriya, a boy born without superpowers in a world where they are the norm, but who still dreams of becoming a superhero himself, and is scouted by the world's greatest hero who shares his powers with Izuku after recognizing his value and enrolls him in a high school for heroes in training. The manga is being adapted into an anime television series and began airing on April 3, 2016.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Characters
- 3 Media
- 4 Reception
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Izuku Midoriya is a regular middle school student in a world where people with superpowers known as "Quirks" (個性 Kosei) are the norm. However, he dreams of one day becoming a Hero (ヒーロー Hīrō), despite being bullied by his classmates for not having a Quirk. After being the only one to try and save his childhood bully, Katsuki, from a Villain (敵（ヴィラン） Viran), All Might, the world's greatest Hero, bestows upon him his own quirk, "One For All". The story follows Izuku's entrance into U.A. High School (雄英高校 Yūei Kōkō), a school that cultivates the next generation of Heroes.
- Izuku Midoriya (緑谷 出久 Midoriya Izuku)
- Voiced by: Daiki Yamashita (Vomic and Anime), Akeno Watanabe (child) (Japanese), Justin Briner, Lara Woodhull (child) (English)
- Nicknamed Deku (デク), he is a boy who is extremely knowledgeable about heroes and dreams to be one himself, despite lacking a Quirk due to the trait being too diluted to be passed on in his family. However, when he steps up to save his childhood acquaintance from an evil Villain, All Might bestows upon him his Quirk One For All (ワン・フォー・オール Wan Fō Ōru), a Quirk that becomes more powerful the more people it is given to, and results in the user being able to call upon great physical strength. At first, Izuku was only able to use the full power of his strength for specific moments, resulting in him severely damaging whichever part of his body he used. However he has since learned to channel the power throughout his body rather than in short bursts, but currently can only withstand around 10% of it. Izuku is the first Quirkless (無個性 Mukosei) Hero (beside his predecessor, All Might), and joins other students in U.A. High School's Class 1-A. He initially dislikes his nickname, but starts to like it once Ochako comments that his nickname gives him a vibe of never giving up. Because of this, he decided to use "Deku" as his Hero name.
- Katsuki Bakugō (爆豪 勝己 Bakugō Katsuki)
- Voiced by: Nobuhiko Okamoto, Sachi Kokuryu (child) (Anime), Yūichirō Umehara (Vomic) (Japanese), Clifford Chapin, Kate Oxley (child) (English)
- Katsuki is one of Izuku's childhood acquaintances and classmates in class 1-A, whom Izuku calls Kacchan (かっちゃん). He possesses the Quirk Explosion (爆破 Bakuha), which allows his palm sweat to become nitroglycerin and explode. He has made fun of Izuku for lacking a Quirk since childhood, and also the one who gave him his nickname as an insult. Though back then, he and Izuku had a far more stable relationship. It was only after he grew up being praised by people around him for his Quirk and achievements that he became more arrogant and thought that others, particularly Izuku, are below him. He started to bully and become truly hostile to Izuku when his attempts to reach out to Katsuki out of concern are misinterpreted by Katsuki into thinking he was looking down on him as someone in need of saving. In the beginning of the series, he is a bully who often mocks those that he considers weak as he thinks that he is the strongest. He stops picking on Izuku after the latter's attempt to save him from a villain, though he truly starts reflecting on himself only after Izuku defeated him in their battle training and seeing that there many students possess greater and better quirks than him. However, Katsuki's aggressive and conceited behavior draws the attention of the League of Villains, who decide to kidnap him in order to convince him to join their ranks.
- Ochako Uraraka (麗日 お茶子 Uraraka Ochako)
- Voiced by: Ayane Sakura (Japanese), Luci Christian (English)
- Ochako is a classmate of Izuku and Katsuki's at U.A. High School. Her Quirk is Zero Gravity (無重力（ゼログラビティ） Zero Gurabiti), which allows her to make any object she touches with her fingertips float, although she will become nauseous if she uses the ability too much. Aside from Katsuki, she also refers Izuku as "Deku" but unlike the former, she calls him with his nickname out of affection, commenting that "Deku" gives the vibe of never giving up, and eventually switches to Deku-kun (デクくん). She comes from a family of construction workers, and because there is not much of a market for them, they are poor. Due to this, Ochako aspires to become a hero for money so she can give her parents an easy life. She and Izuku develop feelings for each other as the series progresses. Her Hero name is "Uravity".
- Tenya Iida (飯田 天哉 Iida Ten'ya)
- Voiced by: Kaito Ishikawa (Japanese), J. Michael Tatum (English)
- The president of class 1-A, a very studious boy who seems serious and scary at first glance, although he is just being honest and strict regarding qualifications to become a hero. He quickly becomes one of Izuku's first close friends. Tenya's Quirk is Engine (エンジン Enjin), which gives him super-speed via jet engines in his legs. He comes from a well-known family, who have been professional heroes for generations. His older brother in particular, Ingenium, inspired him to become a hero that will make his family proud. His Hero name is initially "Tenya", although he renames himself "Ingenium", inheriting his brother's name after he is crippled by a villain.
- Shōto Todoroki (轟 焦凍 Todoroki Shōto)
- Voiced by: Yūki Kaji
- A student in class 1-A. His Quirk is Fire and Ice (半冷半燃 Hanrei Hannen), which makes the left side of his body control fire and the right side ice. He is considered as the strongest student in the class. He is the son of Endeavor, who was said to be the second top hero after All Might. However, his father only married his mother for her Quirk, in the hopes that he could sire a child who could exceed All Might, leading to an abuse-ridden childhood. Shōto's mother soon became afraid that Shōto would become like his father, leading to her burning his not yet active fire side with scalding water in hopes of making his father uninterested in him. Because she was later institutionalized in a mental hospital for her actions, Shōto intends to become a top hero using only his mother's Quirk instead of his father's as his way to disavow the latter. During his fight with Izuku, Shōto finally started to try accepting his Fire Quirk as his own instead of his father's. Afterward, he decided to overcome his inner struggle by meeting his mother, in the hope that they can get through their past together. His Hero name is "Shōto".
- All Might (オールマイト Ōru Maito)
- Voiced by: Kenta Miyake (Anime), Tesshō Genda (Vomic) (Japanese), Christopher R. Sabat (English)
- The world's greatest Hero, All Might's real Quirk is unknown to the public and most people concludes that he has some strength-enhancing Quirk. He passes his quirk on to Izuku after seeing the boy's bravery. He is a teacher at U.A. High School, doing his best to allow Izuku follow in his foot steps. His One For All Quirk enables him to pass on his powers to another, which he plans on doing as five years prior a fight with a Villain left All Might terribly injured to where he can only use his Quirk for three hours a day. This time limit later decreased to fifty minutes a day. The nature of his Quirk is only known by Izuku, the school principal, and Recovery Girl, and must not be revealed at any cost in order not to destroy people's symbol of peace. He is drawn in the style of American comic book superheroes rather than in the Japanese manga style of other characters, though the style changes to a more traditional manga form when he returns to his "true form".
Class 1-A students
- Yūga Aoyama (青山 優雅 Aoyama Yūga)
- Voiced by: Kosuke Kuwano (Japanese), Joel McDonald (English)
- Yūga is another boy in class 1-A. He is always seen smiling and is very prideful of himself. His Quirk is Navel Laser (ネビルレーザー Nebiru Rēzā), which allows him to fire a laser blast from his belly button, but can't shoot it for longer than a few seconds or his stomach will collapse in of itself.
- Tsuyu Asui (蛙吹 梅雨 Asui Tsuyu)
- Voiced by: Aoi Yūki
- A girl in class 1-A. Her Quirk Frog (蛙 Kaeru) gives her a frog-like appearance and abilities such as superior swimming, a tongue that can stretch 20 meters, sticking to and climbing vertical walls, superhuman leaping, and numbing venom. She has a type of plain and normative personality, but she is insightful, intelligent, and ready to protect the innocent. She is also sharp, being the first one in the class to notice the similarity between Izuku and All Might's Quirk, which briefly panicked Izuku. Her Hero name is "Froppie".
- Momo Yaoyorozu (八百万 百 Yaoyorozu Momo)
- Voiced by: Marina Inoue
- The vice class president of class 1-A. Her Quirk is Creation (創造 Sōzō), possessing the ability to create any inorganic objects of her choosing as long as she knows their molecular structures. She is one of the top students in the class, having entered U.A. through a scholarship, although she has a self-esteem issue due to never being able to prove her own worth. Her Hero name is "Creatie".
- Mezō Shōji (障子 目蔵 Shōji Mezō)
- Voiced by: Masakazu Nishida
- One of the tallest students in class 1-A. Shoji has four extra, webbed arms growing from his shoulders. His Quirk Arm Replication (複製腕 Fukusei Ude) allows him to grow individual body organs at the tips of these four limbs (he has so far shown to grow eyes, ears and hands). His Hero name is "Tentacle".
- Eijiro Kirishima (切島 鋭児郎 Kirishima Eijirō)
- Voiced by: Toshiki Masuda
- A student in class 1-A whose Quirk Hardening (硬化 Kōka) allows him to harden his body to become nearly invulnerable. His Hero name is "Red Riot", inspired by another hero, Crimson Riot, whom he admires.
- Mina Ashido (芦戸 三奈 Ashido Mina)
- Voiced by: Eri Kitamura
- A student in class 1-A with pink hair and lilac skin. Her Quirk is "Acid" (酸 San): being able to excrete an acidic fluid from her body, as well as controlling its corrosive strength and stickiness. She initially chose "Alien Queen" as her Hero name, but later chose "Pinky" after the whole class objected her previous choice.
- Tōru Hagakure (葉隠 透 Hagakure Tōru)
- Voiced by: Kaori Nazuka
- A student in class 1-A with an unnamed Quirk that makes her invisible. Except while on school, she mostly walks around nude to fully utilize her Quirk, but keeps on a pair of gloves and a pair of boots so people can know she is there. Her Hero name is "Invisible Girl".
- Kyōka Jirō (耳郎 響香 Jirō Kyōka)
- Voiced by: Kei Shindō
- A girl in class 1-A who has extremely long earlobes due to her Quirk Headphone Jack (イヤホンジャック Iyahon Jakku), which allows her to plug her earlobes into headphone jacks to listen to sounds or to transmit the sound of her own heartbeat capable of reaching explosive levels. Her hero name is "Headphone Jack".
- Minoru Mineta (峰田 実 Mineta Minoru)
- Voiced by: Ryō Hirohashi
- A lecherous student in class 1-A who frequently makes lewd remarks and colored jokes. Mineta possesses "Super Sticky" (もぎもぎ Mogimogi), a Quirk that grows strongly-adhesive and detachable hairballs from his head. Mineta himself is immune to their adhesive effects and able to trampoline on them as they are also extremely elastic. His Hero name is "Grape Juice".
- Denki Kaminari (上鳴 電気 Kaminari Denki)
- Voiced by: Tasuku Hatanaka
- A student in class 1-A whose Quirk Charge (帯電 Taiden) allows him to absorb and emit electricity. While this quirk is powerful in its nature, overuse causes his brain to short circuit, causing him to become temporarily intellectually disabled. His hero name is "Chargezuma" (charge + inazuma[lightning]).
- Fumikage Tokoyami (常闇 踏陰 Tokoyami Fumikage)
- Voiced by: Yoshimasa Hosoya
- A very serious-minded student in 1-A whose head resembles that of a crow's. His Quirk, "Dark Shadow" (黒影（ダークシャドウ） Dāku Shadō), gives him control of a sentient shadow that has a variety of uses, from attacking to defense to support. Within a dark environment, his shadow becomes more powerful but harder to control. Vice versa, if he is in a environment with a lot of light, it becomes easier to control but far weaker. His hero name is "Tsukuyomi".
- Mashirao Ojiro (尾白 猿夫 Ojiro Mashirao)
- Voiced by: Kosuke Miyoshi
- A mild-mannered student whose most defining trait is his Quirk "Tail" (尻尾 Shippo), a strong yet sturdy part of his body which he can combine with martial arts in battle. His hero name is "Tailman".
- Hanta Sero (瀬呂 繁太 Sero Hanta)
- Voiced by: Kiyotaka Furushima
- Another student in 1-A whose Quirk, "Tape" (テープ Tēpu), allows him to shoot cellophane tape from dispensers in his elbows. His hero name is "Cellophane".
- Kōji Kōda (口田 甲司 Kōda Kōji)
- An extremely shy student whose body resembles a rock. His unnamed Quirk allows him to communicate with animals, but unfortunately has intense fear for insects. His hero name is "Anima".
- Rikidō Satō (砂藤 力道 Satō Rikidō)
- Voiced by: Tōru Nara
- A very muscular person with large mouth and black, spiky hair. His Quirk, "Sugar Rush" (シュガードープ Shugā Dōpu) gives him 5 times his normal strength using 10g of sugar, but at the same time his brain functions gradually degrades. His hero name is "Sugarman".
U.A. High School teachers
- Shōta Aizawa (相澤 消太 Aizawa Shōta)
- Voiced by: Junichi Suwabe
- The homeroom teacher for class 1-A. He always looks extremely tired but hates to waste time. He is a Hero formerly known as Eraser Head (イレイザー・ヘッド Ireizā Heddo) whose Quirk Erasure (抹消 Masshō) is to nullify others' Quirks so long as they remain in his line of sight. If he blinks, his Quirk deactivates, so he often wears goggles to ensure that he need not blink. Continued use of his Quirk gives him dry eye, which makes him unable to use it for some time after.
- Present Mic (プレゼント・マイク Purezento Maiku)
- Voiced by: Hiroyuki Yoshino (Japanese), Sonny Strait (English)
- The school's English teacher, whose Quirk "Voice" amplifies his voice. He appears at the entrance ceremony to introduce the new students to the school.
- Recovery Girl (リカバリーガール Rikabarī Gāru)
- Voiced by: Etsuko Kozakura (Japanese), Juli Erickson (English)
- The school's nurse and nursing teacher, who is now a petite old woman. She gives students candy to get better. Her Quirk is a Healing Factor (治癒力の超活性化 Chiyuryoku no Chōkasseika), allowing her to heal others' injuries by kissing them. However, if she becomes too exhausted, it overrides her ability to prevent her own death.
- Lunch Rush (ランチラッシュ Ranchi Rasshu)
- A cook hero who works in the school cafeteria. He is able to produce first class meals for a very low price, and is always seen giving the thumbs up.
- No. 13 (13号 Jūsangō)
- A space hero who is an expert at disaster relief. His Quirk "Black Hole" (ブラックホール Burakku Hōru) summons a black hole that for some reason sends whatever it sucks in to Chile.
- Cementos (セメントス Sementosu)
- A hero who resembles a wall. He teaches modern Japanese. His Quirk "Cement" (セメント Semento) allows him to control concrete.
- Midnight (ミッドナイト Middonaito)
- A heroine who resembles a dominatrix and is an "R-Rated Hero". She appears as a referee at the sports festival. Her Quirk "Sleeping Incense" (眠り香 Nemurika) allows her to produce a scent that makes people fall asleep, and is more effective on men rather than women.
- Ectoplasm (エクトプラズム Ekutopurazumu)
- A man whose mouth goes across his face from ear to ear. He also uses a prosthetic leg after having lost it in a fight with a Villain.
- Kamui Woods (シンリンカムイ Shinrinkamui)
- Voiced by: Kōtarō Nishiyama (vomic), Masamichi Kitada (anime) (Japanese), Aaron Roberts (English)
- A Hero who appears in the first chapter who possesses the ability to control tree limbs and is partnered with Mt. Lady. He is rising in popularity in the world, and even has his own Pez dispenser.
- Mt. Lady (Mt.レディ Maunto Redi)
- Voiced by: Yuki Minami (vomic), Kaori Nazuka (anime) (Japanese), Jamie Marchi (English)
- A Heroine whose Quirk Giantism (巨大化 Kyodaika) allows her to grow from her height of 162 centimeters (5 ft 4 in) to 2,062 centimeters (67 ft 8 in), but her fights with Villains often cause a lot of collateral damage and her size prevents her from fighting in closed spaces. She also tends to make provocative poses to attract the media's attention.
- Mt. Lady was originally conceived by Kōhei Horikoshi to be the female lead.
- Endeavor (エンデヴァー Endevā)
- Real name Enji Todoroki (轟 炎司 Todoroki Enji). A Hero with immense flame powers who is a legend at U.A. High School. His crime stopping record has never been surpassed, but despite that, he is considered only the second among all heroes, the first being All Might. He raised his son, Shōto Todoroki with the sole purpose of making of him a hero to surpass All Might, to the point of choosing to marry Shōto's mother only because of her Quirk, in order to have his child inherit her powers as well. He constantly pushed his son to train to become stronger ever since he was 5 years old and even sent his own wife to a mental hospital after she injured Shōto out of fear of Endeavor's influence, leading Shōto to hate him.
- Ingenium (インゲニウム Ingeniumu)
- Real name Tensei Iida (飯田 天晴 Iida Tensei). He is Tenya's older brother. He was attacked by the Hero Killer, Stain, and was permanently crippled from the attack. Knowing his career has ended, he entrusted his Hero title "Ingenium" to his younger brother.
- Best Jeanist (ベストジーニスト Besuto Jīnisuto)
- Real name Tsunagu Hakamada (袴田 維 Hakamada Tsunagu). An alumnus of U.A. High School who has the Quirk "Fiber" (繊維 Sen'i), allowing him to control the fibers in others' clothes.
- Gran Torino (グラントリノ Guran Torino)
- A retired hero who is one of All Might's colleagues and his former homeroom teacher. He was the one who taught All Might to control One For All during the latter's early days, and his training was so intense that All Might fears him to the point he subconsciously tried to forget about him until Torino sent his recommendation for Izuku to help him improve One For All. His Quirk is "Jet" (ジェット Jetto), allowing him to take in air through the sole of his foot to allow him to jump higher.
- Manual (マニュアル Manyuaru)
- A "normal hero" who picks Iida for a work experience program.
The League of Villains
- A organization of Villains whose sole purpose is to kill the Symbol of Peace, All Might, and are the main antagonists of the series.
- "Sensei"/"All For One"
- The true mastermind behind the Villains Alliance, he is a criminal mastermind who used the initial spread of Quirks to create an empire. He was the one who first created "One For All", infusing it into his brother, whose Quirk allowed him to share his Quirk with others. He is a sinister man who, due to a prior confrontation with All Might, has a massive scar covering most of his face above his lower lip. His true name is unknown and is only known by his Quirk, All For One (オール・フォー・ワン Ōru Fō Wan), the sister Quirk to "One For All", which allows him to take others' Quirks and transfer them to himself or anyone else he designates. While his transferring of Quirks allowed him to lengthen his lifespan, due to his battle with All Might he lies in a hospital in a critical condition, while he teaches Shigaraki to become his ideal successor.
- Tomura Shigaraki (死柄木弔 Shigaraki Tomura)
- Voiced by: Kōki Uchiyama
- The acting leader of the alliance, groomed by All For One to be his successor. He is a demented skinny pale man with disembodied hands on his head, face, and arms. Behind his hand-mask, Shigaraki has a heavily aged and weathered face despite his youth. His behavior is of both a criminal genius and a very arrogant child. His Quirk is "Disintegration". As the name implies anything he touches disintegrates in seconds, but all five of his fingers need to make contact otherwise it doesn't take effect. He doesn't like Stain and believes they'll never get along, despite the Alliance's desire to have him join ranks. He eventually becomes obsessed with Izuku, believing that the two of them are polar opposites and that to truly break Izuku and the society he represents, he must kill All Might. According to All For One, Tomura is a grandson of Shimura Nana, All Might's teacher and the previous owner of "One for All".
- Kurogiri ( 黒霧, lit. "Black Mist")
- Voiced by: Takahiro Fujiwara
- Tomura's Right-hand. A shadow-like entity that wears a elegant outfit with metal plates around his collar bone. Despite his gentlemanly manners, he is also sinister. His quirk is "Warp", teleporting others as well as himself to different locations.
- Noumu ( 脳無 Nōmu, lit. "Brainless")
- A muscular monstrosity, Noumus are regular people who are infused with multiple Quirks by All For One. While the end result is a potential army of superhumans, the multiple Quirks put a strain on the Noumus' sanity and ultimately make them into mindless berserkers.
Vanguard Action Squad
- A team made up of ten members who are the new recruits from the Villain Alliance.
- Dabi (荼毘)
- A young man with multiple stitchings/piercings who lacks manner and has committed several petty crimes that don't stand out. He wonders whether the Villains Alliance follow a cause, but nonetheless joins the group because he desires to fulfill Stain's ideals and motives. He calls himself Dabi (meaning cremation), only revealing his true name when he sees fit.
- Himiko Toga (渡我 被身子 Toga Himiko)
- A demented young girl that has a warrant out for her as a suspect for multiple death incidents caused by blood loss. She wants to join the Villain-alliance because life is difficult. She is obsessed with blood, admitting that she likes people when they are covered with so much blood. This obsession leads her to get interested in anyone who are heavily injured, such as Stain whom she stated she wants to kill and become after seeing his video, and later Izuku after she saw him who was heavily injured at the time during the attack at the camp.
- Stain, The Hero Killer (ヒーロー殺し ステイン Hīrō Goroshi Sutein)
- A demonic ninja. Originally an aspiring hero student named Chizome Akaguro (赤黒 血染 Akaguro Chizome), Stain fell into despair after realizing that more students were becoming heroes for money and fame, rather than doing good for the sake of doing good and dropped out to become a street speaker pushing for reform of the Hero system. He eventually became a professional hero killer, sparing only those he considered "true heroes", a list which currently consists solely of All Might and Izuku. After his arrest, Izuku admits that on some level he admires and understands Stain's passion and idealism, but disapproves of his method. His Quirk is "Bloodcurdle" (凝血 Gyōketsu), the ability to paralyze his opponent by licking their blood from his blade, even from scratches. The weakness to his Quirk is that there are time limit differences based on the blood type of his opponents (Type B is 8 minutes, others are shorter ranging from Types BA, A, and O).
- Izuku's mother (出久母 Izukuhaha?)
- Voiced by: Yuki Minami (vomic), Aya Kawakami (anime) (Japanese), Jessica Cavanagh (English)
- Izuku's mother is proud and somewhat overprotective of her son. When he began attending U.A. High School and had seemed to develop a Quirk all his own, she was ecstatic and made him a Hero's jumpsuit based on sketch he made as a gift. Initially supporting her son's dream, Izuku's continuous encounters with Villains that mostly nearly got him killed, caused her to falter and wishes that he doesn't return to U.A. anymore out of concern of his life. Her "Quirk" is the ability to attract small objects.
- Izuku's father
- Not much is known about him, but it is known that he has the quirk Fire Breather (火休み Hi Yasumi), which allows the user to blow fire out of their mouth.
My Hero Academia is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Kōhei Horikoshi. It began its serialization in the manga magazine Weekly Shōnen Jump on July 7, 2014. Its individual chapters have been collected into eight tankōbon volumes, the first released on November 4, 2014. The story is set in a world where super humans are the norm. The main character Izuku Midoriya doesn't have powers, but soon gets powers from a famous hero known as All Might.
The series is licensed for English language release in North America by Viz Media, who published the first volume on August 4, 2015. As the series is published in Japan, it is also released simultaneously in English digitally by Viz Media's Weekly Shounen Jump.
With the anime announced, TOHO Group registered domain name "heroaca.com" as the anime website. The anime is directed by Kenji Nagasaki, written by Yōsuke Kuroda, and feature character designs by Yoshikiko Umakoshi and music composed by Yuki Hayashi. The anime premiered on MBS and other Japan News Network stations in 'Nichigo' timeslot at 5pm on Sundays in Japan. The opening theme is performed by Porno Graffitti and the ending theme is performed by Brian the Sun. In March 2016 Funimation Entertainment announced they had licensed the series for streaming services, home and broadcast release as well as obtaining the merchandise rights.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"Izuku Midoriya: Origin"
"Midoriya Izuku: Orijin" (緑谷出久：オリジン)
|April 3, 2016|
|In a world where most of the population is gifted with special powers known as "Quirks", Izuku Midoriya is a young boy who always dreamed of becoming a hero, despite not having a Quirk himself, until one day he is attacked by a villain and is rescued by no other than All Might, the most famous hero ever and his idol since childhood.|
|2||"What It Takes to Be a Hero"
"Hiro no Jouken" (ヒーローの条件)
|April 10, 2016|
|Izuku discovers that All Might's true form is that of a frail, emaciated man, who suffered a massive injury years ago. All Might tells Izuku that he should give up on being a hero and focus on a more realistic dream. Disheartened, Izuku makes his way home, only to see his classmate and bully Katsuki Bakugō attacked by a villain. With no heroes around able to fight the villain, Izuku, without any thought given, rushes in.|
"Unare kin'niku" (うなれ筋肉)
|April 17, 2016|
|All Might tells Izuku of his quirk, "One For All", a special quirk that transfers its strength from person to person. While All Might believes Izuku to be worthy of his quirk, bestowing it to him right away would ruin his untrained body. All Might then designs a ten-month training regimen, to ensure that Deku can become a vessel that can carry it.|
|April 24, 2016|
|After receiving All Might's Quirk, the time has come for Izuku to attend the exams for the prestigious U.A. High School for heroes in training. However, during the practical exam, Izuku gets himself in a pinch and is about to fail, until one of his fellow examinees finds herself in serious danger and he runs to her rescue.|
|5||"What I Can Do For Now"
"Ima Boku ni Dekiru Koto wo" (今 僕に出来ることを)
|May 1, 2016|
|It's Izuku's first day as a student of U.A. High School. However, his homeroom teacher Shōta Aizawa decides to hold a physical test to evaluate how the students use their Quirks. Mr. Aizawa threatens the worst ranked student with expulsion, and Izuku finds himself in another predicament as he still has not learned to control his Quirk properly.|
|6||"Rage, You Damned Nerd"
"Takere Kusonādo" (猛れクソナード)
|May 8, 2016|
|Now donning their own hero costumes, the students are assigned to a mock battle between teams of two to test their combat abilities. Izuku is paired with Ochako Uraraka, the girl he helped during the entrance exams who also becomes his friend much to his joy. However, also to his dismay, one of his opponents is Bakugō, who always mocked him for his quirklessness, and is now furious at him.|
|7||"Deku vs. Kacchan"
|May 15, 2016|
|The mock battle continues with Izuku barely holding against Bakugō's devastating attacks, leaving Ochako to face the other opponent Tenya Iida by herself. As the time limit approaches, Izuku seems to have no option but to use his Quirk against Bakugō in an attempt to just defeat him, until he comes up with a better idea.|
|8||"Bakugō's Starting Line"
"Sutāto Rain, Bakugō no." (スタートライン、爆豪の。)
|May 22, 2016|
|After losing against Izuku in the mock battle, Bakugō watches the rest of his classmates in action and realizes that he still has a long way to stand above his peers. After recovering from his injuries, Izuku attempts to cheer him up, to the point of sharing with him parts of his secret. Meanwhile, news that All Might is teaching at U.A. are received by some individuals with contempt.|
|9||"Yeah, Just Do Your Best, Iida!"
"Ii zo Ganbare Iida-kun!" (いいぞガンバレ飯田くん！)
|May 29, 2016|
|Izuku is chosen as the class president, much to his surprise, but he ends up relenquishing the position to Iida when he and his friends find him more suitable for the position. The students are then assigned to another field exercise, but before it begins, a horde of villains suddenly appear before them.|
|10||"Encounter with the Unknown"
"Michi to no Sōgū" (未知との遭遇)
|June 5, 2016|
A video game based on the anime was announced in November 2015. The game is developed by Bandai Namco Studios and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment for the Nintendo 3DS handheld game console, which is scheduled to release in Japan on May 19, 2016.
It is nominated for the 8th Manga Taishō. Before the anime adaptation's premiere, manga author Masashi Kishimoto praised Kōhei Horikoshi's work, believing it would be a success overseas; Horikoshi, meanwhile, has cited Kishimoto's Naruto series as a primary source of inspiration.
Volume 1 reached the 7th place on the weekly Oricon manga chart with 71,575 copies sold. It sold out almost immediately on its first printing. Volume 2 reached the 6th place, with 167,531 copies and, by January 18, 2015, had sold 205,179 copies.
- "Official Shonen Jump website". Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- "My Hero Academia Anime to Air in MBS/TBS' 'Nichigo' Timeslot". Anime News Network. January 10, 2016. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- "Exclusive: Animax Asia Airs Simulcast of My Hero Academia, Twin Star Exorcists". Anime News Network. March 28, 2016. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- "My Hero Academia Listed With 13 Episodes by French Streaming Site". Anime News Network. March 24, 2016. Retrieved March 25, 2016.
- "Shonen Jump to Launch 4 Manga Series in Next 3 Issues". Anime News Network. June 25, 2014. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "Viz's Shonen Jump Adds My Hero Academia". Anime News Network. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- "My Hero Academia TV Anime Adaptation Confirmed". Anime News Network. October 29, 2015. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- "Daiki Yamashita, Kenta Miyake Star in My Hero Academia TV Anime". Anime News Network. November 12, 2015. Retrieved November 12, 2015.
- "Marina Inoue, Yoshimasa Hosoya Join My Hero Academia Anime's Cast". Anime News Network. January 28, 2016. Retrieved January 28, 2016.
- "My Hero Academia Casts Eri Kitamura, Kōsuke Kuwano, Kei Shindou, Masakazu Nishida". Anime News Network. March 3, 2016. Retrieved March 3, 2016.
- "My Hero Academia Anime Casts Tasuku Hatanaka, Toshiki Masuda". Anime News Network. February 4, 2016. Retrieved February 4, 2016.
- "My Hero Academia Anime Reveals 5 More Character Designs, Corrects Cast Member". Anime News Network. March 14, 2016. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- "My Hero Academia Casts Kouki Uchiyama as Tomura Shigaraki". Anime News Network. May 12, 2016. Retrieved May 12, 2016.
- "Takahiro Fujiwara Joins My Hero Academia Anime's Cast as Kurogiri". Anime News Network. May 22, 2016. Retrieved May 22, 2016.
- "Boku No Hero Academia TV Anime Adaption Announced". OtakuTale. Retrieved November 5, 2015.
- "My Hero Academia TV Anime's Main Staff Revealed". Anime News Network. Retrieved November 5, 2015.
- "My Hero Academia Anime's 4th Promo Video Previews Animation". Anime News Network. February 28, 2016. Retrieved February 28, 2016.
- "Funimation Licenses My Hero Academia Anime". Anime News Network. March 8, 2016. Retrieved March 8, 2016.
- Sato. "My Hero Academia Game Announced For Nintendo 3DS". Siliconera. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- "My Hero Academia: Battle for All 3DS Game's Play Videos Preview Characters". Anime News Network. April 4, 2016. Retrieved April 5, 2016.
- "8th Manga Taisho Awards Nominates 14 Titles". Anime News Network. January 18, 2015. Retrieved January 19, 2015.
- "Naruto Cheers on My Hero Academia's Deku". Anime News Network. April 2, 2016. Retrieved April 3, 2016.
- "Japanese Comic Ranking, November 3–9". Anime News Network. November 12, 2014. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "Up and Coming Manga Sold Out Immediately". December 1, 2014. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- 週間 コミックランキング 2015年01月19日付. Oricon Style (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved January 20, 2015.
- "Japanese Comic Ranking, January 12–18". Anime News Network. January 21, 2015. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- ""My Hero Academia" Volume 1 Horikoshi Kohei [daily cartoon guide]". November 19, 2014. Retrieved December 4, 2014.