NBA Africa Game 2015
|Date||August 1, 2015|
|Venue||Ellis Park Arena,
Johannesburg, South Africa
|MVP|| Luol Deng
The National Basketball Association (NBA) Africa Game 2015 was an exhibition basketball game played on August 1, 2015 in Ellis Park Arena in Johannesburg, South Africa. It was the first NBA game, and the first game involving any major North American professional sports league, to take place on the continent of Africa. It was contested between Team Africa (NBA players and alumni that were born in or had parents born in Africa), and Team World (NBA players from the rest of the world).
Team World won the exhibition game by a score of 101-97.
Coaches and managers
San Antonio Spurs head coach, three-time NBA Coach of the Year, and five time NBA champion Gregg Popovich coached Team Africa, including his team's Boris Diaw. Mike Budenholzer, who was named Coach of the Year for the prior NBA season, and Monty Williams served as assistant coaches for the African side. Billy King, general manager for the Brooklyn Nets, held that position for Africa along with former NBA Executive of the Year and Nigerian native Masai Ujiri of the Toronto Raptors.
- Aminu was born in the United States, but his parents are from Nigeria.
- Antetokounmpo holds Greek nationality, but his parents are from Nigeria.
- Batum holds French nationality, but his father is from Cameroon.
- Diaw holds French nationality, but his father is from Senegal.
- Deng holds British nationality, but he was born in what is now South Sudan.
- Ibaka represents Spain in international competition, but he was born in the Republic of the Congo.
- Mohammed was born in the United States, but his parents were born in Ghana.
- Daniels, Tim. "NBA Africa Game 2015: Date, Venue, Rosters and More". Bleacher Report. Retrieved 19 July 2015.
- "Paul, Deng, Gasol brothers headline first NBA game in Africa". NBA. Retrieved 19 July 2015.
- Mahoney, Brian. "Popovich to coach, Gasols to play in NBA's 1st Africa game". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 19 July 2015.