National Assembly (Burundi)
|Party list proportional representation|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
Deputies are elected in 17 multi-member constituencies using a party-list proportional representation system in accordance with the d'Hondt method. Political parties and lists of independent candidates must receive over 2% of the vote nationally to gain representation in the National Assembly.
As a country that has been devastated by civil war and persistent ethnic violence since its independence in 1962, Burundi's new constitution (approved in a February 2005 referendum) requires that 60% of the deputies be from the Hutu ethnic group, while the remaining 40% come from the Tutsi ethnic group. In addition, three co-opted members represent the Twa ethnic group. Women must occupy at least 30% of the seats in the National Assembly.
Elections to the National Assembly took place on 4 July 2005. The National Council for the Defense of Democracy-Forces for the Defense of Democracy (CNDD-FDD) won 59 of the 100 seats filled through direct election. The Front for Democracy in Burundi (FRODEBU), who won a majority of seats in the previous election held in 1993, won 25 seats. The Union for National Progress (UPRONA) won 10, while the National Council for the Defense of Democracy (CNDD), a breakaway faction of the CNDD-FDD, won 4. The small, predominantly Tutsi Movement for the Rehabilitation of Citizens-Rurenzangemero (MRC-Rurenzangemero), won the remaining 2 seats. An additional 18 members were co-opted to meet the required ethnic and gender quotas.
Immaculée Nahayo, an ethnic Hutu member of the CNDD-FDD, was elected president of the National Assembly on 16 August 2005.
- List of legislatures by country
- List of Presidents of the National Assembly of Burundi
- Legislative branch
Lua error in Module:Coordinates at line 668: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.